Are homebrewers hipsters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a bunch of dorky middle aged white men, and none of them brew. Unless I'm now middle aged, which I don't think I am yet.

It kinda fits the defenition. We're rebelling against the mass beer culture.

Are you rebelling against McDonalds when you grill your own hamburger? Are you rebelling against IHOP when you make pancakes at home? Maybe you're rebelling against something. I'm not rebelling against anything by brewing. I'm just sometimes making at home what I could buy at the store. I have nothing against the "mass beer culture" and tend to drink a lot of their product.

There is NO single defining element for a home brewer other than they all happen to brew beer at home. Some are nerdy engineering types. Some aren't. Some are DIYers. Some aren't. Some are even hipsters. Some aren't.

I don't consider myself a hipster, but I'm afraid the label might fit. I wear ironic t-shirts (right now, I'm wearing my college's sobriety night shirt), eat local, and generally have a disdain for anything popular (aside from Lady Gaga squee!).

I also can. That's hip, right?

There is NO single defining element for a home brewer other than they all happen to brew beer at home. Some are nerdy engineering types. Some aren't. Some are DIYers. Some aren't. Some are even hipsters. Some aren't.

+1,000,000,000

Though I think the other thing is that we are passionate about beer. Even if we're not brewing it, we still drink it, read about it, etc......

I don't consider myself a hipster, but I'm afraid the label might fit. I wear ironic t-shirts (right now, I'm wearing my college's sobriety night shirt), eat local, and generally have a disdain for anything popular (aside from Lady Gaga squee!).

I also can. That's hip, right?

I don't even watch TV very often so I don't know who "celebrities" are when they appear. I have no idea about pop culture. I'm very far removed from that kind of stuff. Of course, I don't have a cell phone or play video games at all. I spend most of my time in non-motorized (silent) sports. Kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. I have never even seen a Blackberry.

I'm just an aging hippy, though. I mean, I've been growing my old food for more than 25 years, and aside from coffee and a few other things I buy, I've always eaten local when I can. I even harvest my own wild game. I can my own produce, and even my own venison. I haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years. I always just thought these reasons are why I'm "weird" though.

Are you rebelling against McDonalds when you grill your own hamburger? Are you rebelling against IHOP when you make pancakes at home? Maybe you're rebelling against something. I'm not rebelling against anything by brewing. I'm just sometimes making at home what I could buy at the store. I have nothing against the "mass beer culture" and tend to drink a lot of their product.

Totally agree. The only thing I'm rebelling at is high beer prices. That being said, I'm thankful for BMC for providing cheap beer.

Homebrewing rocks because its so cheap and I love having beer on hand all the time.

I don't even watch TV very often so I don't know who "celebrities" are when they appear. I have no idea about pop culture. I'm very far removed from that kind of stuff. Of course, I don't have a cell phone or play video games at all. I spend most of my time in non-motorized (silent) sports. Kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. I have never even seen a Blackberry.

And I'm a 23 year old male who works for an ad agency. I'm on my iPhone frequently and due to my job am forced to stay up with pop culture.

I reckon it takes all kinds.:mug:

At an ad agency? I'm a t-shirt and skinny jeans kind of guy myself. Although, Mad Men is starting to make the office dress up a little.

Hipster homebrewers are rare around here. As was pointed out, homebrewing take more effort than memorizing band names from utility pole posters.

What differentiates us from hipsters is

1. We are all different views, likes, dislikes. (I hate hipsters and their machiatos, all I want is a large bold coffee, gtfo the line. )
2. We come from all walks of life. (Fire Fighter, Paramedic - student, Pool cleaner.
3. We do something because we like it, not because it's cool. Others opinions on our beers may annoy us, but we still like the way it tastes over commercial stuff.
4. We're not in it because of the damn crowd.
5. My calves are bigger than your thigh, nuff said.

I love to listen to the latest indie rock while brewing, but I sure don't dress like those hipsters on the hipster site.

And hipster bars DO serve the best beer!

I know 1 hipster that brews.
I also know 1 hipster in total.

So, hipsters must be brewers.

Knowing my group that we brew with - everyone is a dork in some manner. Either the D&D player, the software engineers, the accountant...all dorks.

That said...Data, if you join in here- would Madman be a hipster? I sorta see it, minus the skinny jeans because god knows we do NOT want to see that.

If you home brew while wearing skinny jeans, Wayfarers and after you just got done riding your fixed gear bicycle maybe.

my friend and I had a brew day a few weeks ago on my driveway. It was a nice day and a group of people were out for a walk, got curious, asked us what we were doing. We told them we were brewing beer and explained the process. They said, that's cool... it sounds very green! We chuckled after they walked away... looking at the pool of water that collected on the street from our chillers.

No joke, my entire club, except for me, is hipsters. REAL, Brooklyn hipsters who either still live in Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy, or moved to Staten Island and brought it here. Hell our local homebrew shop is run by hipsters too! I'm the REALLY odd one of the bunch: a former soldier, a combat veteran, and worst-of-all, a COP!

Whenever new people come, weed always comes up, and then "president" of the club loves mentioning my job at that point. :)

No joke, my entire club, except for me, is hipsters. REAL, Brooklyn hipsters who either still live in Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy, or moved to Staten Island and brought it here. Hell our local homebrew shop is run by hipsters too! I'm the REALLY odd one of the bunch: a former soldier, a combat veteran, and worst-of-all, a COP!

Whenever new people come, weed always comes up, and then "president" of the club loves mentioning my job at that point. :)

that's some funny schtuff there. I honestly don't know any hipsters. Maybe it's not a florida thing? Dunno.

Dude seriously, the hipsters in my club would probably fight "hipsters" from other areas of the country over who are the most "real" hipsters! I stick out like a cinder block in a bag of apples!

The brewers I know here in Jackson (2) would be considered "hipsters" by most I guess but it is a subjective term. I say they're more like "hippies", listening to jam bands, playing the same songs those jam bands play for hours at a time, smoking pot and hanging out in the backyard throwing frisbees and drinking the flavor of the week around the fire.

Brewing is not a redneck thing around here IMO. All the rednecks I know (I can almost fit in this category) drink Bud Light or something similar and would never dream of brewing their own. They'd rather just go and buy it, sit down on the couch and watch *insert redneck programming here*.

So I guess in my experience, homebrewers are much more closely related to hipsters then rednecks, but I can fit into either of those categories for one reason or another so it makes no difference to me.

I'm the REALLY odd one of the bunch: a former soldier, a combat veteran, and worst-of-all, a COP!

Hilariously ironic! I'm glad you guys can come together over some homebrew though.

You ever get the sense that if you weren't there, club brew days would have a lot of forgotten steps and munchie breaks?

I'm not sure how many actually would smoke anymore since they're all getting up there and have good jobs that test, but I'm sure a few would. Hell we had to "card" two girls who were brought by a new member last week because they didn't look 21!

I dunno about hipsters, but the guy who sat down at the bar with me certainly has a hipster facade. He brought in some bacteria as he called it for making sour beers and asked the bartender to put it in the cooler. He brought up the fact that he homebrews and generally reeks of a granola yuppie. Perhaps I'm being judgemental but the guy just kind of annoysme. Is this how I come off to others? The prospect is frightening...

Back