Are hipsters ruining craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly (or not) I don't really buy craft beer anymore. One day I found myself at a Kroger (grocery store here in NC) because I knew they released Hopslam the day before. I had to ask someone who worked there to get a 6 pack for me out of the back because that's where they keep it. They don't put it out on the shelves here...whole other issue/rant. After paying some ridiculous amount like $16-$20 for the 6 pack, I go home later in the evening and crack one open. I fairly quickly come to the realization that I probably have at least 3-4 better DIPA recipes laying around that are tried and true- better in every way I could describe an IPA then this super fresh Hopslam. There were a few instances since then like (for all you North Caroliners) Foothills Sexual Chocolate and it was the same thing, its a good solid beer but I've made so much better so many times for a fraction of the cost.

So personally I just can't seem to fork up the $$ when I can brew it so much better for so much less. More often than not I actually buy pbr and other cheap beers if I find myself at a bar feeling the need to socially drink because I know that any one of those craft beers on tap are going to be a disappointment. Oh and the cost difference is sometimes staggering around here, I guess it wouldnt be too bad if the prices were closer.

Sadly (or not) I don't really buy craft beer anymore. One day I found myself at a Kroger (grocery store here in NC) because I knew they released Hopslam the day before. I had to ask someone who worked there to get a 6 pack for me out of the back because that's where they keep it. They don't put it out on the shelves here...whole other issue/rant. After paying some ridiculous amount like $16-$20 for the 6 pack, I go home later in the evening and crack one open. I fairly quickly come to the realization that I probably have at least 3-4 better DIPA recipes laying around that are tried and true- better in every way I could describe an IPA then this super fresh Hopslam. There were a few instances since then like (for all you North Caroliners) Foothills Sexual Chocolate and it was the same thing, its a good solid beer but I've made so much better so many times for a fraction of the cost.

So personally I just can't seem to fork up the $$ when I can brew it so much better for so much less. More often than not I actually buy pbr and other cheap beers if I find myself at a bar feeling the need to socially drink because I know that any one of those craft beers on tap are going to be a disappointment. Oh and the cost difference is sometimes staggering around here, I guess it wouldnt be too bad if the prices were closer.

Cheers to that. I'd suggest looking for beers that you don't, won't, haven't or can't make to keep it fun and interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have such a love affair with budweiser. Much like an affair, I tend to hide our love when in public.
Haha, perfect.

I hadn't had Budweiser since college when I started going to my girlfriend's family events. They always have Budweiser and Bud Light. I tried Budweiser and was very surprised by how enjoyable it was, so I tried a Bud Light… not so good.

IMO there are a bunch of variables associated with the price of a beer. You’re going to see big corporations charge less for a beer because they can produce more for a fraction of a cost than the craft brewers. They probably have contracts directly with the grain/hop producers so they can get it at a lower fixed cost. Some companies own the grain/hop farms under a different subsidiary so that would lower the cost substantially. If you think craft brewerys are charging you for more than they should then start your own brewery and undercut them. :)

Being retired,now with a $500 deductable on my hospitalization,it's tough to get the ingredients to brew a beer,let alone buy craft beer all the time. Dammit! I had to settle for old milwauee ice beer & cheap vodka.I still buy craft beer once a month or so. I can't wait for my books to start generating some passive income. That'll help.:mug:

Haha, perfect.

I hadn't had Budweiser since college when I started going to my girlfriend's family events. They always have Budweiser and Bud Light. I tried Budweiser and was very surprised by how enjoyable it was, so I tried a Bud Light… not so good.

Nothing wrong with a BUD every now and then. That's my go to beer in a crappy bar situation. I've had many craft beers that weren't as good. :D

and the budweiser comment.

i think i was never into "craft beer". i just like good beer. there are tons of big, old companies that produce a good product in a mainstream manner. ie. wernesgruner, schneider, fullers. pbr and to a lesser extent bud have a time and place to drink. however, there are distinctly worthless beers ie. BMC light, BMC lime and beers that attempt to be something they're not (BMC "craft" beers).

I homebrew good beer and I try to buy goodbeer when i can.

Hi. It's over seven years into the future from when this question was asked. The answer is, "Yes."
It is bad when I go to a store to look at the craft beer section and have no idea what the hell I'm looking at... well, it's all IPA but that's about all the information I can usually deduce.

IPA? Do you mean IPA (cloudy) or West Coast IPA (actually clear like a properly made beer)? That's part of the issue. Definitions have changed. I've brewed with the understanding that "hazy is bad and a defect which should be avoided". However, along come Hipsters who appear to be glorifying failure by intentionally creating hazy beer. If I hear "juicy" one more time in a beer description, I'm going to lose it. If you want to drink juice, get your mom to put the straw in your box.

I'm fine with the definition of West Coast being clear. Years ago though, East Coast IPA's existed which were also clear and a combination of New World and Old World hops. That is now gone. Now, you have East Coast meaning hazy, which it shouldn't. Just my two cents.

IPA? Do you mean IPA (cloudy) or West Coast IPA (actually clear like a properly made beer)? That's part of the issue. Definitions have changed. I've brewed with the understanding that "hazy is bad and a defect which should be avoided". However, along come Hipsters who appear to be glorifying failure by intentionally creating hazy beer. If I hear "juicy" one more time in a beer description, I'm going to lose it. If you want to drink juice, get your mom to put the straw in your box.

I'm fine with the definition of West Coast being clear. Years ago though, East Coast IPA's existed which were also clear and a combination of New World and Old World hops. That is now gone. Now, you have East Coast meaning hazy, which it shouldn't. Just my two cents.

I’m more partial to the clear American IPA styles, although I don’t mind some hazy IPAs. Perhaps my biggest gripe is the lack of information provided on the malt and hops that go into a beer. If all I can see is a name and art on a can of IPA then what am I making my decision on?Even with wine I can see the variety of grape, oaked/non oaked, etc.

What do you want to know other than it's $13 for four 16oz cans. Doesn't the art and price tell you enough, sheesh!

You're lucky if it's that cheap. I've seen prices more like $13 for a 4-pack of 12 oz cans. And don't get me started on 22 oz bomber prices.

One more reason to brew our own... :mug:

Absolutely!

We know it's not free and it is a fair amount of work (personal satisfaction aside).
But we usually can count on a good beer. And I don't even have label art, or a label!:)

Actually I do put a piece of masking tape on the keg when I fill it that contains the important specs for the brew.

i just saw some saying they were going to brew a stout jalpeno beer, my knee jerk was, "that's funny" then i thought about it more and, you jalapenos would be good in a stout! maybe 50/50 roasted and green.....just for a smooth transition in the flavor...but all green would be good too!

i just saw some saying they were going to brew a stout jalpeno beer, my knee jerk was, "that's funny" then i thought about it more and, you jalapenos would be good in a stout! maybe 50/50 roasted and green.....just for a smooth transition in the flavor...but all green would be good too!
I've done it. I heard of others doing it and then had a business meeting and the clients were growing peppers in the office. I asked about them and walked away with free peppers. I had a Guinness clone in the FV at the time (and more than I would want to drink), so I decided to add peppers to a Guinness Clone.

Ghost Chilies in a stout was one of the worst ideas I ever had! I can drink anything I screw-up, apart from this. Chilly Peppers in a beer is like combining the disease and the antidote. It's just plain wrong.

I had this a few years ago. Mighty delicious. Maybe I can find a clone recipe.
99278f8c953b23addb77042d842399fc9b8c3ab0_copper-kettle-mexican-stout-1360px.jpg

I've done it. I heard of others doing it and then had a business meeting and the clients were growing peppers in the office. I asked about them and walked away with free peppers. I had a Guinness clone in the FV at the time (and more than I would want to drink), so I decided to add peppers to a Guinness Clone.

Ghost Chilies in a stout was one of the worst ideas I ever had! I can drink anything I screw-up, apart from this. Chilly Peppers in a beer is like combining the disease and the antidote. It's just plain wrong.
Yeah I wouldn't go with Ghost Peppers. As far as I am concerned they have nothing to offer other than heat, unlike a good Habenero or a Jalapeno that has some unique flavor to offer along with heat. I made some chili with Ghost peppers that I grew this year and it was just hot in an un-redeeming way.

Actually I wouldn't go with any peppers in my beer, tried em and didn't like them.
But some folks have different taste preferences.

Small batch beer is always going to be expensive for all sorts of reasons. Same for any small batch if anything - production, packaging, advertising markups - everyone trying to cover costs. IPA’s especially with the huge amount of hops per batch.

Now we have supply chain issues so you just can’t get certain items, and shipping freight has almost doubled.

I heard an interesting podcast somwhere talking with a small brewer about hops in his IPA’s. Because of not being able to get certain hops, he reformulated his big hop recipes to use a multitude of different hops (like maybe 20 varieties.). That way if supply chain issues made one of the hop styles unavailable, it had less of an impact on the IPA’s he was making. This way all the supply problems were reduced (if the beer had 19 of the 20 hops) it was still pretty close to the recipe and they could still have beer to sell under the same product name.

Last edited:
The guys at my LHBS Brew & Grow brew a few excellent hot pepper beers, the best IMHO is an amber ale made with fatalii peppers that they grow there in the store. Hotter than a habanero but with a great fruity and earthy flavor, if you can get your hands on some they make awesome beer. Also great in hot sauce, BBQ sauce, etc. I have a stash of them in my freezer that are going into a Mexican chocolate RIS, truly my dream beer.

I want to know who invented sour beers and fruit additions, and where this all came from? Is it craft beer?

My opinion is that it gets women (edited: and men who are not perhaps standard ale drinkers) interested in drinking beer. Perhaps a little politically incorrect, but I personally have no time for these flavoured beers (much like the coffee I drink), and conclude its an overtly artsy approach to widen the market. My local "craft" brewery has about 30 different flavours of beer available. I'd estimate 60% of these are some sort of "Flamingo Banana Fruit Salad Sour". WTF?

Been drinking beer 40 plus years. My taste has changed in that time, but I just find it hard to accept the wide range of product being pushed - as beer.

Last edited:
It has to do with ceativity and competition. Once the craft brew movement (and home brewing of course) took off, it helped put a nail in the coffin of the faltering domestic lager industry. We’ve gone from several dozen players to thousands of breweries in the course of 30 years.

It is a great thing having all these local breweries, lots of fun we didn’t have growing up. My kids are in their 20’s, they all know and enjoy breweries and hip restaurants in a way I would have really enjoyed at that age. They just weren’t there. They’ve even brewed with Dad. It’s fantastic.

So with all these thousands of new players pushing the enveope, lots of weird and creative things will evolve. Some will come and go, others will become staples of the industry. I think it’s a good thing.

Last edited:
You're lucky if it's that cheap. I've seen prices more like $13 for a 4-pack of 12 oz cans. And don't get me started on 22 oz bomber prices.

Only going to get worse in 2022. Read something about Ball changing their pricing model for cans not too long ago.

I routinely see pricing in the $18.99 to $24.99 for 16oz 4 packs. Oh..and you want a tip too? Oh look, I can select 18, 20 or 22%? You’re so thoughtful…to try and make it convenient for me. 💩

Only going to get worse in 2022. Read something about Ball changing their pricing model for cans not too long ago.

I routinely see pricing in the $18.99 to $24.99 for 16oz 4 packs. Oh..and you want a tip too? Oh look, I can select 18, 20 or 22%? You’re so thoughtful…to try and make it convenient for me. 💩
I'm sure that 'Custom Tip' button takes a beating :bigmug:

That's interesting. When I was growing up, beers like PBR and Natty Light were the cheaper beers that people would buy when they couldn't afford the regular BMC. Most of the time it was highschool and college kids.

On the East Coast I find that Yuengling is a pretty popular one that's considered on the "high side." I suppose it all depends where/when you lived. I have noticed that PBR has become popular though because I'm seeing it in movies, TV shows, and songs. I don't remember any ad placements when I was a kid.
I live in eastern PA and Iron City was one of the cheapest beers when I was much younger. Old Milwaukee was another one. Stroh’s I think was another one. Yuengling here is commonplace and more middle of the road than high end. Never saw the fascination with it. Its just lager beer with carmel color added. Something different every once in a while, I guess.

The higher end beers anybody we knew drank were all imported. Heineken, St. Pauli Girl, or we knew one guy who drank Bass ale. I still know a bunch of snobs who drink skunky Heineken and think its awesome.

Then there
I don't watch South Park very often but this discussion is reminding me of the Goth vs Emo episode.
Then there was the one with the hippies and the know-it-all hippies. They had to play death metal to get rid of the hippies before they took over the town for good.

Hmmph! Don't talk about cost of "craft" beer in my neck of the woods. There are several local "craft" beers I will buy regularly, but a 15 oz can at $5 a pop, is keeping me fiscally honest. Surely a strategy for these folk would be to at least be competitive with the major producers. That being said, I reckon the craft market is doing just fine where I live.

With the same 7-8 cans of "craft" beer at $35-$40 ($CAD) I am brewing 40-50 16 oz bottles of pretty decent all grain homebrew, that would pass the taste test in any of the local brew pubs. And the pleasure of knowing its my creation, to be tweaked, or changed completely next time.

I live in eastern PA and Iron City was one of the cheapest beers when I was much younger. Old Milwaukee was another one. Stroh’s I think was another one. Yuengling here is commonplace and more middle of the road than high end. Never saw the fascination with it. Its just lager beer with carmel color added. Something different every once in a while, I guess.

The higher end beers anybody we knew drank were all imported. Heineken, St. Pauli Girl, or we knew one guy who drank Bass ale. I still know a bunch of snobs who drink skunky Heineken and think its awesome.
Not much Yeungling up here on draft, so for me, its a nice lager variation when in the US. I like it. Sam Adams Lager has long been a favourite too when I cross the border. Been a couple years since that was allowed.

IPA? Do you mean IPA (cloudy) or West Coast IPA (actually clear like a properly made beer)? That's part of the issue. Definitions have changed. I've brewed with the understanding that "hazy is bad and a defect which should be avoided". However, along come Hipsters who appear to be glorifying failure by intentionally creating hazy beer.
AMEN

Not to push you over the edge but the brewery were were at last night had a Hazy Dank West Coast IPA. They also have a Jalapeño beer which I haven't tried again since the first time like 10 years ago.
IMO that's a complete contradiction - i'm with NotSure that West Coast is defined by being clear. The brewery may be referencing the hop profile in the name - but that's like talking about genuine imitation naugahyde...

Back