Are hipsters ruining craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, I gotta add this. I'm not a hipster. However, I've heard people say to me, "so you're doing the hipster thing now", more times than I can count in the last 5-6 years. I seriously had no idea what they were talking about so about a year ago I looked up "hipster" on the internet. OMG

How was I confused with a hipster? The first time I heard someone mention the H-word in reference to me was years ago I came into the office wearing an old winter coat I had in my closet for decades. It was unusually cold that day and the coat from the previous year was found in the bottom of the closet with some paint supplies that apparently fell over on it and leaked all over it. Needing a coat, I grabbed that old-thing my father used to wear. Apparently, it was something a hipster would wear today. I only knew it was a coat and it would keep me warm.

The second time I was accused of being a hipster was shortly after the doctor said I needed to quit smoking. My lungs where apparently getting kind of crusty. Being the type I am, I didn't want to quit smoking, but the doctor agreed that if I smoked a pipe and DID NOT INHALE it would be much better than smoking cigarettes. My grandfather smoked a pipe his whole life, so I figured I'd give it a try. I found that I love smoking a pipe if the pipe tobacco is good quality stuff. So now I have a collection of briar pipes and I smoke mostly G.L.Pease pipe tobacco. Trust me, Captain Black is the budweiser of the tobacco world. At any rate, guess what happened next. "So, you smoke a pipe. You must be one of those hipster types". Even worse, I overheard once some younger kids say, "Dude, that guy is way to old too try to be a hipster".

Add to all of this the fact that I like "Good" beer. Yes, apparently wanting to drink good beer can label you a hipster now too. About a year ago I asked one of my local beer stores if they could order me some Sierra Nevada beers besides the Pale Ale. The lady running it said, "Oh, you're wanting some of that hipster beer. There is a place 10 miles that way that keeps a lot of that stuff for the tourist". So I drove the 10 miles and was happy to see a shop that keeps a large selection of micro-brewery beers. However, they only keep them in stock during the tourist season. Oh well, better than nothing.

So here is to all of us that are hipsters and didn't know it. The thing is, I was never trying to be trendy or any of that other ignorant crap. I seriously don't care about looking any particular way. The only people in the world who's opinion of me I care about is my immediate family. As for those people that are trying to be trendy, liberal, look cool, and chokes on a gurgling pipe.....go ahead. And I'll give you $20 for that $300 pipe you bought to look cool and smart, but you decided you don't like the taste of pipe tobacco because you thought Captain Black was supposed to be good or something. lol

I can't understand what Hipsters have to do with the South. It might be time to drop the Southern history lesson here and get back on target.

For some great Hipster action watch a few episodes of Portlandia. There is a great one where the main actor starts getting into hipster lifestyle and it gets so bad he finally ends up ditching it. Then he's at a bar and some young punk comes in and starts his own path down the hipster lifestyle and it just shows the cyclical progression of the disease. Uh, I mean...

What's interesting is that if you see a hipster drinking craft beer, they are not a hipster but just someone trying to be a hipster (which may be worse? I dunno) because believe it or not, its cool to drink craft beer. Yep, everyone here is cool! :D Whats more interesting is that most people trying to be hipsters can never be hipsters because they (probably, don't want to make too many assumptions here) think being hipster is cool and therefore are breaking the number 1 rule of being a hipster...

Hipster problems....

This thread did teach me one thing. I was at a Punk show a few weeks back and everyone was drinking PBR. I was confused. I did not know PBR was now in the domain of punks, and that hipsters had moved on.

What's interesting is that if you see a hipster drinking craft beer, they are not a hipster but just someone trying to be a hipster (which may be worse? I dunno) because believe it or not, its cool to drink craft beer. Yep, everyone here is cool! :D Whats more interesting is that most people trying to be hipsters can never be hipsters because they (probably, don't want to make too many assumptions here) think being hipster is cool and therefore are breaking the number 1 rule of being a hipster...

Hipster problems....

Here's our basic statement : Hipsters reject everything that is cool.

So if we follow the logic - if you want to be a hipster because you think it's cool, then you can't be a hipster because hipsters reject what's cool.

My head hurts...

All this time I've been thinking this hipster stuff is all about wearing goofy hats. :D

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS?

When I was in grade school I wore seed corn hats and sweatshirts with animals on them and got ridiculed. NOW that **** is cool? :mad:

I've never been accused of being "with it" and gave up on that a long time ago. Maybe I was just a hipster before being a hipster was a thing? :confused:

Folks, I gotta add this. I'm not a hipster. However, I've heard people say to me, "so you're doing the hipster thing now", more times than I can count in the last 5-6 years. I seriously had no idea what they were talking about so about a year ago I looked up "hipster" on the internet. OMG

How was I confused with a hipster? The first time I heard someone mention the H-word in reference to me was years ago I came into the office wearing an old winter coat I had in my closet for decades. It was unusually cold that day and the coat from the previous year was found in the bottom of the closet with some paint supplies that apparently fell over on it and leaked all over it. Needing a coat, I grabbed that old-thing my father used to wear. Apparently, it was something a hipster would wear today. I only knew it was a coat and it would keep me warm.

The second time I was accused of being a hipster was shortly after the doctor said I needed to quit smoking. My lungs where apparently getting kind of crusty. Being the type I am, I didn't want to quit smoking, but the doctor agreed that if I smoked a pipe and DID NOT INHALE it would be much better than smoking cigarettes. My grandfather smoked a pipe his whole life, so I figured I'd give it a try. I found that I love smoking a pipe if the pipe tobacco is good quality stuff. So now I have a collection of briar pipes and I smoke mostly G.L.Pease pipe tobacco. Trust me, Captain Black is the budweiser of the tobacco world. At any rate, guess what happened next. "So, you smoke a pipe. You must be one of those hipster types". Even worse, I overheard once some younger kids say, "Dude, that guy is way to old too try to be a hipster".

Add to all of this the fact that I like "Good" beer. Yes, apparently wanting to drink good beer can label you a hipster now too. About a year ago I asked one of my local beer stores if they could order me some Sierra Nevada beers besides the Pale Ale. The lady running it said, "Oh, you're wanting some of that hipster beer. There is a place 10 miles that way that keeps a lot of that stuff for the tourist". So I drove the 10 miles and was happy to see a shop that keeps a large selection of micro-brewery beers. However, they only keep them in stock during the tourist season. Oh well, better than nothing.

So here is to all of us that are hipsters and didn't know it. The thing is, I was never trying to be trendy or any of that other ignorant crap. I seriously don't care about looking any particular way. The only people in the world who's opinion of me I care about is my immediate family. As for those people that are trying to be trendy, liberal, look cool, and chokes on a gurgling pipe.....go ahead. And I'll give you $20 for that $300 pipe you bought to look cool and smart, but you decided you don't like the taste of pipe tobacco because you thought Captain Black was supposed to be good or something. lol

Let me help you with this.
It is impossible for you to be a hipster.
The things you have done that have caused confusion were done organically and without pretense.
The big red flag that screams hipster is the pretentious attitude and complete lack of a genuine bone in ones body.
Think that dude you see on the street who is "trying way to hard" to be someone "who doesn't care about anything". Displaying how much they don't care about what anyone thinks by carefully modelling themselves into someone people will view as quirky, different, and indifferent.

Maybe it's just hip to be punk? :p

You might be right.

I've always been a punk (going back to the 70s), but I have noticed an uptick in punk t-shirts and old punk bands re-uniting and touring. I was at a concert a few weeks back and I met a 14-year old kid there with his father. The father was just there as a chaperone. The kid was wearing a Dead Kennedys t-shirt. He said they were his favorite band. How does that even happen?

Dammit - I hate being trendy. I'm going to have to start listening to The Eagles now. Maybe I'm a closet hipster.

lebowskieaglesclose.jpg

***Edit does this make me a hipster now? Or are the Eagles so uncool that it's cool to like them? Or... aw f*** it, I need a beer. My head hurts.

I know we're all cool enough to make fun of hipsters, but if by saying "are hipsters ruining craft beer?" you mean "Are hipsters creating a huge consumer market for craft beer and giving craft brewers a great opportunity to get off the ground" my answer would be: Yes. They are.

I used to be accused of being stuck in the 80's. I still have some old denim jackets. I won't wear them in public though as someone might confuse me of being a hipster wearing that coupled with my beard…

Nah, not even!

Some of those things hipsters are into is OK I suppose. SWMBO buys from Bountiful Baskets as it's a great deal and has quality food. Farm to market or grain to fork stuff. I like supporting the farmers.

We recycle and if I could afford to I'd buy a bunch of solar panels. I'd also collect rain water if I had a garden.

But I like a lot of modern stuff and technology. And there's NO WAY anyone can convince me that wearing girl's jeans is cool, nor silly bow ties.

The only thing trendier than a hipster, and even more predictable, are people who feel the need to constantly declare "I hate hipsters" ;)

great article on hipster culture, really breaks down what they are all about

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

That article did have some promise when he seemed to be unbiased towards the subject and stayed to facts, but towards the end he clearly reveals he already has biases and expectations.

This part: "The hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture so detached and disconnected that it has stopped giving birth to anything new. "

Wow, such crazy generalizations here and completely subjective....I honestly feel he is slightly detached. Does that mean he represents the end of Western Civilization?! lmao <3 bad writing

If people think this increased demand is a good thing, just look at the housing market. Everyone became a contractor and then the roof fell off the house-ing market. Now, a lot of those people are broke.

Craft beer resurgence isn't a new thing. The same thing happened around the late 80s/early 90s. Finally, good beer was being had by all. THEN, beer wasn't cool anymore and red wine became the thing. Mix good vodkas in there somewhere and that was trendy for awhile. Now, craft beer is having a HUGE resurgence. Problem is, all these people selling the farm and starting to brew craft beer (and even good craft beer) are going to lose their shirts when the demand ends.

I hope it really doesn't happen, but most things are cyclical. Only the really established breweries will stick around once that demand shifts to something else.

great article on hipster culture, really breaks down what they are all about

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

By and large I agree with this article. Hipsterism is a fashion and an esthetic, it's not a movement. It's not about the "doing" it's about "being seen while doing."

But the author gets rap history wrong. Rap started as MCing a crowd for a DJ at clubs and street parties. People came for the DJ, not the MC. The simplist evidence I can offer without writing a dissertation is that it was "Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five" not "Melle Mel, Kid Creole, Scorpio, Cowboy, Raheem & some DJ backing us." The record company continued to use Flash's name to sell the records when he wasn't featured on a song and after he left the group.

Rap became the focus and a social movement years later.

If all of these hipsters were to suddenly quit drinking craft beer it may impact some of the breweries that expanded, such as Dogfish Head with hid building being reconstructed and the roof pulled to add more fermentors. I can only guess how much that cost!

But when I go out to places that cater to craft beer I don't see many of those types, though I've not looked for them. Craft beer seems to have awakened in the rest of the population mostly.

Nay! I think the craft brew scene may falter slightly at first, but would do just fine. Right now, with the greater sales, it's helping to clear some debt for having started their businesses. That is except for Dogfish Head!

I hope it really doesn't happen, but most things are cyclical. Only the really established breweries will stick around once that demand shifts to something else.

I've had some really expensive, mediocre beers in the last few years. A lot of them probably won't be around after the bubble bursts, but the good breweries will still be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBV7yKWhWE

Relax it is a joke. But, I do feel there is truth to it. I know some people who fit into this category who believe big beer, including Sierra Navada, = bad and small beer, smaller the better, = good. Yet, they don't know a thing about beer or can taste a difference between them. It is fun to give toSearch Results

Boyz and girlz, Mostly boyz, I don't remember any girlz, I am at the gate of 74 years old. I have read your thread in it's entirety. What else have you to do at my age? You are all making to much of the hipster scene IMHO. I remember the Hippy revolution of the late sixties. Same thing different times. Young folks are always trying to differentiate themselves from the status quo. Personally, I don't think this is such a big deal. So they have big waxed moustachios and maybe a whispy beard and claim to be the worlds next beer messiah, Feck, who believes that crap anyway? Yahn! let's just move on! OK?.......

That video was awesome!

I can't imagine being a bartender these days. It has to be super annoying having people ask for a billion different beers or flavored vodka/whiskey/liquors.

When I was golfing last summer, I grabbed a couple sacks of beers in the clubhouse. Did a variety as I wasn't sure what my buddies would want, except the usual Miller Lite/Coors Light/Bud Light combo, a few Fat Tire. Then I said hey, you've got PBR, throw in a couple of those too. At that point, the bartender said, "Getting in touch with your inner hipster today?" At the time, I didn't know what she was talking about :p I'm so out of touch.

Lord I wish I had time to read this whole thread cause its just hilarious! I see hipster type folks, that is sporting the ironic mustache and skinny jeans I guess, when I trek over to the cities of western CA, but my question is do these folks really go home and look at themselves and say "wow, I'm one hip ass hipster"? God thats hilarious!

The other thing I find fascinating is how folks perceive taste and image with regards the beers and flavors that brought beer to this country. Think about it, many generations have come and gone with Bud and PBR. My Yooper grandad pr drank more PBR than water in his entire life and any hipster concept would have confounded him to unrepeatable expletives!

God bless America, have a Bud with a hipster and ask yourself why he likes it? Go home and enjoy your proper homebrew, share it, be merry, get drunk and laugh your ass off.

I'm going back to the thread.

Fun story. Last weekend during the Superbowl at my place I went out to the garage and filled a few sample glasses.

"Hey guys, give this a try!"
"Wow, what is this? This is really really good! Is this one of yours?"
"Nope. It's Budweiser."

They refused to believe me until I showed them the bottle and poured them another one.

The looks on their faces when they realized they actually enjoyed Bud was priceless. Haha. (NOTE: this does NOT work with "lite" beer...doesn't taste that great)

Awesome!
I have a garage full of Bud "stuff"
I enjoy the tradition and all that and on a hot day it can hit the spot.

Just because I like ales and stouts etc, doesnt mean I cant like Bud... I still listen to Led Zeppelin but also enjoy jazz now

Lord I wish I had time to read this whole thread cause its just hilarious! I see hipster type folks, that is sporting the ironic mustache and skinny jeans I guess, when I trek over to the cities of western CA, but my question is do these folks really go home and look at themselves and say "wow, I'm one hip ass hipster"? God thats hilarious!

The other thing I find fascinating is how folks perceive taste and image with regards the beers and flavors that brought beer to this country. Think about it, many generations have come and gone with Bud and PBR. My Yooper grandad pr drank more PBR than water in his entire life and any hipster concept would have confounded him to unrepeatable expletives!

God bless America, have a Bud with a hipster and ask yourself why he likes it? Go home and enjoy your proper homebrew, share it, be merry, get drunk and laugh your ass off.

I'm going back to the thread.

That's a damn'd good idea . These young poor lost souls don't know ****. So why should anyone care?? That's my question!

Every hipster i know doesn't think they are a hipster.

And im outside Portland, the home of the hipsters.

Boyz and girlz, Mostly boyz, I don't remember any girlz, I am at the gate of 74 years old. I have read your thread in it's entirety. What else have you to do at my age? You are all making to much of the hipster scene IMHO. I remember the Hippy revolution of the late sixties. Same thing different times. Young folks are always trying to differentiate themselves from the status quo. Personally, I don't think this is such a big deal. So they have big waxed moustachios and maybe a whispy beard and claim to be the worlds next beer messiah, Feck, who believes that crap anyway? Yahn! let's just move on! OK?.......

Sudbuster makes a very good point here.

I wore platform shoes and bell bottoms in High School...platform shoes!!! I really have no business making fun of anyone. :D

Nothing digital, but there are probably a few in existence.

I can describe the look.

Picture bell-bottom jeans with leather back pockets, black platform shoes with 4" heels, and a silk print shirt with a collar as wide as a 747's wingspan. Oh, and a white boy 'fro with a whispy attempt at a 70s pornstar mustache. I have red hair BTW. Just visualize a cross between Dirk Digler and Ronald McDonald.

I was much too cool for a leisure suit.

Yes - I was a real bad ass back then. Good thing I never actually got into a fight. I'd probably have broken an ankle with those stupid shoes.

I don't have a problem with hipsters, they are actually everywhere here in Raleigh. I just don't like to see someone basically belittle another individual based upon differences in interests. And i'm not saying all "hipsters" do this but i've seen in happen on more than one occasion. Another thing that pisses me off is when i see snoodish people turn their noses up at blue collar people that buy craft beer. This really cracks me since I am a full time student who works in a garage and i love the looks i get when i walk in my local bottle greasy and dirty as can be. Bottom line, craft beer is a culture consistent of a vast variety of people from all walks of life.

Great...as my pappy always said, "What do you call someone who graduated last in his/her law school class?" ....... "A lawyer."

Sorry, I don't have any practical experience with law since I took my History B.A. and decided to pursue my Masters in Cultural Anthropology. I'll let you know if I finish last.

Back