Are dregs worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last few years I have been using dregs in my sours. I started blending my own sours recently and noticed they are all super dry, despite mashing higher and cooler aging temps. I am wondering if the dregs I am using have too much wine/champagne yeast? Is there a way to get extra bugs without the unwanted yeasts?

TIA.

Worth it to add dregs?
If you don't like the resulting beer after you add dregs, then nope.

Acquiring additional Brett strains are the main reason harvesting dregs is popular, but it's by no means necessary.

One or more particular Brett strain(s) or a mixture thereof is responsible for the high attenuation of your blend. Wine yeast is used for bottling specifically because it won't cause further attenuation besides the priming sugar.

Suggestions:
-Stop using dregs? If you like the results, then great!
-Gueuze tends to be dry (more than straight Lambic or most/all other unblended styles), so maybe blending isn't the best choice if that's not to your taste.
-You could consider bottle pasteurization or sterile filtering to prevent further attenuation after blending.
-Consider a "turbid mash", crystal malts, or adding flour to the boil to try to increase FG by adding lots of starch.
-Higher ABV (8%+) will reduce attenuation.
-Non-fermentable sweeteners.
-Serve with a shot of syrup as is customary with Berliner Weisse. Or a sugar cube in the glass.
-Increase chloride and sodium (can also be done with finished beer) to reduce the perception of dryness.
-There are lots of possible sources of Brett or other wild yeast, everywhere. The vast majority are probably less attenuating than most dregs. Feeling lucky?

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks. Appreciate the tips. Most my sours are over 8% and I’m not into sweeteners. But I like some of the other ideas in here.

I am wondering if the dregs I am using have too much wine/champagne yeast?
I think that's a non-issue, as champagne and wine yeasts cannot digest maltotriose or in general, any tri-saccharides. Now Brett has no problem with those and can even convert simple dextrins given enough time. I'd say overly dryness must be from a wort composition that's still a bit too fermentable.

Commercial dregs are wonderful as they supply a wide range flora, 2nd to none. Very possible 1000s of strains that are not to be found in a simple pitch from a commercial pack. It takes many years, decades, for those strains to develop in their respective breweries and you get them for free with your beer.

Definitely, pitching dregs are a must to get that great complexity!

Back