Are Any of These Ingredients Yeast-Killers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMartin

Reaction score
I'm planning to use this product as priming sugar in my cider and I need to double check some of the ingredients. I only have a basic knowledge of the chemistry involved so I was hoping you all could double check for me. Thanks in advance, here they are:

Malic Acid
Tricalcium Phosphate (I think this is an anti-caking)
Sodium Citrate
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C?)

Nope, those all look yeast safe to me, and yep, the tri-calcium phosphate is an anti-caking agent used in powdered spice mixes... Good luck

The sodium citrate is probably an anti-oxidant form, I'd be careful with adding too much as the malic acid is usually a pretty high concentration in those things.

Ascorbic Acid is used in flour for bread making. I recall that it replaced Bromates. I'd be somewhat concerned that it might amp the performance of the prime and cause issues like bottle bombs. Don't know about the other ingredients, but I question the use of that proucts. Why not just use the basic spices and sugar?

Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. It is usually used for preserving color. Wine and cider makers use it frequently. As a yeast nutrient its'effects should be negligible.

Just curious, but what are you intending to achieve by using these powder mixes as your priming agent? If it's just the spiced aspect, can't you add spices (steeped or whole) prior to bottling and prime with regular sugar as usual? I'd think you can more easily control what's going on that way and you wouldn't have to worry about "yeast killers" or other random things that they throw in those packs. I just always think those ready-made cider packs, though tasty, are very artificial. Just my 2 cents. :mug:

Just curious, but what are you intending to achieve by using these powder mixes as your priming agent?

Well, one, I just have them lying around. Two, I'm trying to give the cider a bit more apple flavor and this seems like it would work better than just priming with more juice.

Back