Is TF-6 a new sweet cider "miracle yeast" ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few recent posts have indicated that some members of the Forum are planning to or have used Fermentis’ new yeast TF-6. If you have, some feedback would be good.

In a recent post, I mentioned that Fermentis claims that in their taste testing, TF-6 stopped (or stalled) at around 1.010 (about 25g/L of sugar or medium dry). This was in typical French and American style musts which were somewhat low in YAN (Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen 90-110 mg/L), and only fermented down further in an English style must with a higher YAN (127mg/L).

Maylar commented that stopping at such a high SG is quite unusual and I must say that I agree. My knowledge of fermentation chemistry is pretty basic, however a bit of research suggests that this could happen with low YAN must (possibly accompanied by hydrogen sulphide… yuk!). It seems that YAN in juice can be measured but not easily so it isn’t commonly published, but for a variety of reasons can range from 50mg/L to 200mg/L.

The article by Fermentis is attached. It led to me wondering if TF-6 could be the new “miracle yeast” for slightly sweet cider. I had visions of using TF-6 until it stalled, adding priming sugar and bottling, then after the priming sugar fermented... “hey presto” sweet sparkling cider with no effort. Unfortunately it seems that it might not be quite that easy, but it might work with a cider made from very ripe late season apples from unfertilised trees, since such juice would typically be low in YAN especially if no DAP is added. After all, adding nutrient like DAP is a remedy for dealing with stuck fermentations.

I wonder if anyone with a bit more fermentation chemistry knowledge than me, has any views or would I be wasting my time.

Attachments

• Creating unique cider profiles with new yeast strains.pdf
    712.9 KB · Views: 9
I've got a couple of batches running with it right now, one carboy (100% Newtown Pippin) is throwing some Sulfur smell, so I tossed in a capful of yeast nutrient. I usually don't need to add yeast nutrient in cider when I use my old standby yeasts, Cider House Select and 71-B. It will be a while before I have a chance to taste it.

Sounds like this simply is a yeast that needs higher nutrient levels than other yeasts. Jolicoeur achieves the same with what he calls stabilization racking. I would be worried that fermentation will be taken over by a different yeast as soon as the TF-6 goes into dormancy.

You are probably right. It doesn't look as though the nutrient levels can be measured or controlled with sufficient precision to get TF-6 to "stall" exactly where you want it. Even finding low nutrient apples or juice might be a bit hard to do, although TF-6 might work O.K. with stabilisation rackings.

I notice that both Jolicoeur and Lea suggest up to 50ppm of DAP (in Lea's case with a very small amount of thiamine) can be used to move a stuck fermentation along by 10 gravity points. However, it seems to me that the precision needed here is maybe getting into the "too hard" basket as a mechanism for stopping fermentation where you want it... there are other ways to do this. Cider making is supposed to be easy and fun!

So, it doesn't seem that TF-6 will be the "miracle sweet cider yeast" after all. Pity! Having said that, it does seem as though its flavour profile will still be very useful even when it ferments "all the way down".

I plan to give AS-2 a run next year.

When old fashion cidermaker use the keeving method, the goal is to remove YAN after concentrate it into the "chapeau brun" end rack the cider of it.
Doing this, they starve the yeast that stops fermenting at high (or very high*) density. We also use racking once in a while when we want to slow down the fermentation still with the same idea because yeast cells contain nutriment for active yeast and we want to starve the yeast.

So if I get it well, this yeast has a high need of YAN and you can have a kind of keeved cider even if you don’t manage to get your "chapeau brun".
I way prefer to master the keeving process from start to end and have a old fashion cider with natural yeast full of flavor and complexity but it probably deserve a try before being so peremptory.

*French cidermaker in normandy are usually making sweet cider that naturally stop fermenting at 1030 or higher.

Latest posts

Back