April 11, 2009 Circle City Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW... I am JOKING. This hydro sample tastes JUST like all of the other CCB Haus Ales I brewed. All of the numbers match for attenuation and such. I don't see a reason to ever chill my beer again, thus far.

Darn, I REALLY love cooked corn!

I hope to be trying this soon as well. I'll post an update.

Really glad to see this working.

I am really pleased so far... it made brew day easier and saved me some water for sure. I also HATE cleaning that damn IC...

I liked using real wort for my starter too... no more DME.

I really like this idea, though putting 200+deg wort into my glass carboys does not turn me on, handling and such. As summer approaches it will take longer for the wort to cool while in the keggle than fall winter and spring. Any ideas?

I really like this idea, though putting 200+deg wort into my glass carboys does not turn me on, handling and such. As summer approaches it will take longer for the wort to cool while in the keggle than fall winter and spring. Any ideas?

#1 you NEVER put hot liquids in glass. This is why I had to source the HDPE fermentor.

#2 the wort doesnt cool in the keggle, the HDPE container cooled in my house, so the season (winter, fall, summer) will not matter. If I really wanted to cool it "faster" I could place it in my ferment. fridge at say 63F and that would help.

#1 you NEVER put hot liquids in glass. This is why I had to source the HDPE fermentor.

#2 the wort doesnt cool in the keggle, the HDPE container cooled in my house, so the season (winter, fall, summer) will not matter. If I really wanted to cool it "faster" I could place it in my ferment. fridge at say 63F and that would help.

Ahh.... summer brew sessions it is that time again (96 degrees today :cross:) Anyways, I am taking note of your experiment and thanks for doing so. I guess I don't need to upgrade my chilling system.

I still plan on chilling the wort to safe temps to put in the fermentor, but I don't think I will be worried about the fastest method possible. I try to get it below 140* quickly and then wander around cleaning up more while it gets into the 80s and I am good with that.

There is a benefit to getting it into the container while it is hot.

#1. Cooling between 140 and 80 is PRIME time for critters to enter into your wort that you do not want.

#2. The hot wort further sterilizes the fermentor.

#3. It is not sitting out in the open long at all, much less time than if you actually chill it.

Those are a couple of the reasons that I did, what I did.

There is a benefit to getting it into the container while it is hot.

#1. Cooling between 140 and 80 is PRIME time for critters to enter into your wort that you do not want.

#2. The hot wort further sterilizes the fermentor.

#3. It is not sitting out in the open long at all, much less time than if you actually chill it.

Those are a couple of the reasons that I did, what I did.

hmm.... so what is a safe temperature to transfer to a glass carboy?

hmm.... so what is a safe temperature to transfer to a glass carboy?

Um, I dunno... but Id say less than 140F. Probably depends on the glass, but that just scares me. ALSO when the wort cools, it shrinks, along with the headpsace. I am not sure what a vaccuum will do to your glass carboy.

Um, I dunno... but Id say less than 140F. Probably depends on the glass, but that just scares me. ALSO when the wort cools, it shrinks, along with the headpsace. I am not sure what a vaccuum will do to your glass carboy.

Yeah... ok enough said, I will not mess around with that. I guess mostly cooled wort (80*) into the glass for me.

I think the idea of the RWS is great though. While the yeast is beginning to munch away on the wort that is actually the soon to be beer. I can stabilize the temp of the fermenter and get it ready for the yeast that will soon follow.

Kegged this sucker last night, on the gas now. There was really not that much trub and sediment in the bottom of the fermentor, and the beer was relatively clear.

Filled the HDPE fermentor with PBW and soaked for a few hours, not a trace of krausen junk left in it. Excellent easy cleanup.

Can't wait to hear how it tastes... BTW, your Orange Cascade is scheduled for brew #1 on Friday.

I still have a hard time with getting a day off for a horse race, so I gotta brew !

Un carbed and chilled, it tasted just how the other have... pretty bland and easy drinking for the neighbors.

Well... you COULD, but you have to remember that with all that cooling comes A LOT of shrinkage. The HDPE container I have has fairly thin and flexible walls, so it can handle the vaccuum.

Those HDPE buckets are MUCH more rigid and I have heard some people say that they do not handle the vaccuum nearly as well. One person said the bucket nearly collapsed in on itself. Whatever that means.

You can try it, if you like it, Id suggest investing $13 in an HDPE container that is better suited.

One person said the bucket nearly collapsed in on itself. Whatever that means.

That happened to me. The bucket sides caved in and it just literally looked like it was imploding. Had a heck of a time getting the lid off, too. I bought a couple of heavy-duty 5 gal HDPE containers and will be using those. My no-chill in a bucket turned out fine - I just shook it and pitched some dry yeast the next day. I'm gonna copy Pol's RWS method - I actually came up with the idea in parallel (honest) but haven't tried it. It just seems like a natural compliment to the no-chill method.

That happened to me. The bucket sides caved in and it just literally looked like it was imploding. Had a heck of a time getting the lid off, too. I bought a couple of heavy-duty 5 gal HDPE containers and will be using those. My no-chill in a bucket turned out fine - I just shook it and pitched some dry yeast the next day. I'm gonna copy Pol's RWS method - I actually came up with the idea in parallel (honest) but haven't tried it. It just seems like a natural compliment to the no-chill method.

Okay okay.. but I have the rights to it! Ha ha... thanks for chiming in Bakins. I have my JUST over 2 week old CCB Haus Ale on tap right now. It is a little green yet, but there is no noticeable difference between it and my other attempts at this beer. It is really quite clear too at this point.

RWS rocks, and it is a natural move to make when using this method, for sure.

Okay okay.. but I have the rights to it! Ha ha...

Sure ;)

Kids, work, etc. have kept me from brewing last few weeks, so I haven't got a chance to try my new containers, but they seem pretty heavy duty. Hopefully tomorrow doing a wheat beer with a touch of rye. Probably going to move the 15 minute addition to a 0 minute addition, whirlpool for 5 minutes or so, then add the 5 minute addition directly to the "cube." Sound reasonable? Only other no-chills I've done (months ago) only had 60 minute hops (which I almost always turn into FWH).

Sure ;)

Kids, work, etc. have kept me from brewing last few weeks, so I haven't got a chance to try my new containers, but they seem pretty heavy duty. Hopefully tomorrow doing a wheat beer with a touch of rye. Probably going to move the 15 minute addition to a 0 minute addition, whirlpool for 5 minutes or so, then add the 5 minute addition directly to the "cube." Sound reasonable? Only other no-chills I've done (months ago) only had 60 minute hops (which I almost always turn into FWH).

Sounds good... any hops that go into my cube, I credit as a 20 minute addition. This is my guestimate while I experiment. Anything that usually goes into the boil AFTER 20 minutes, I move up to FWH.

Well... you COULD, but you have to remember that with all that cooling comes A LOT of shrinkage. The HDPE container I have has fairly thin and flexible walls, so it can handle the vaccuum.

Those HDPE buckets are MUCH more rigid and I have heard some people say that they do not handle the vaccuum nearly as well. One person said the bucket nearly collapsed in on itself. Whatever that means.

You can try it, if you like it, Id suggest investing $13 in an HDPE container that is better suited.

OK, I was planning on getting some of the same ones you got anyways, was just wondering if a bucket would work in the meantime. Guess I'll just wait since I have been spending too much on my e-kettle and RIMS lately.

You're lucky my wife doesn't know where to find you Pol.

OK, I was planning on getting some of the same ones you got anyways, was just wondering if a bucket would work in the meantime. Guess I'll just wait since I have been spending too much on my e-kettle and RIMS lately.

You're lucky my wife doesn't know where to find you Pol.

I have a feeling that one day my cover will be blown, and I will have to go underground! There are a lot of husbands out there taking my advice lately.

I found where you linked the HDPE fermenter you got, but cannot find its dimensions on US Plastics. Do you by any chance know have the height and diameter (i.e., is it similar to a 6 gallon better bottle)?

I want to make sure it will fit in my temperature control cooler before trying this out.

I found where you linked the HDPE fermenter you got, but cannot find its dimensions on US Plastics. Do you by any chance know have the height and diameter (i.e., is it similar to a 6 gallon better bottle)?

I want to make sure it will fit in my temperature control cooler before trying this out.

I will go measure... BRB

EDIT: It is 11" wide and 17.5" tall

This is a yougn beer, but it goes down WAYYYY too easily after landscaping.

Three weeks since pitching yeast.

I did my no-chill brew today. A simple wheat beer. I collected 1 quart of wort in a smaller HDPE jug I had (honey came in it, much thicker than a milk jug) and then collected 5 gallons in my cube and stuck that in my chamber. I stuck the quart in the freezer while I cleaned, then added my rehydrated dry yeast to it when it had cooled. Was allot simpler than screwing around with my plate chiller and cleaning went quicker. Will post an update when I pitch, etc.

I did my no-chill bre today. A simple wheat beer. I collected 1 quart of wort in a smaller HDPE jug I had (honey cam in it, much thicker than a milk jug) and then collected 5 gallons in my cube and stuck that in my chamber. I stuck the quart in the freezer while I cleaned, then added my rehydrated dry yeast to it when it had cooled. Was alot simpler than screwing around with my plate chiller and cleaning went quicker. Will post an update when I pitch, etc.

Excellent!!!!!:rockin:

Pitched my yeast today.

My 5 gal cube. You probably can't tell from pic, but it was "sucked in" somewhat.

IMG_3647.JPG

I was just going to dump it through my strainer, but 5 gallons of wort is pretty heavy:

IMG_3651.JPG

I rehydrated my yeast yesterday and pitched into 1 qt of the wort that I had cooled:

IMG_3654.JPG

Going through the strainer:

IMG_3659.JPG

Some of the crap the strainer caught. I also left about 1/2" of stuff (mostly hops from "cube hopping") in the cube:

IMG_3660.JPG

Okay, did a pseudo-brew-in-a-bag partial mash, no-chill Belgian blonde yesterday. 75% efficiency. Used 1/2 gallon for RWS (Wyeast 1388). Pitched the RWS after about 16 hours (I stick the cube into my milk cooler and it chills pretty quick). It was bubbling like mad after I got home from work (so about 10 hours after pitching). I should have bought the coarser strainer as the medium one gets clogged all the time (see my earlier pics).

No screwing around with lots of hoses and running chilling water. Whirlpool, drain, clean. That's it. Then maybe 10 minutes of work the next day to transfer to my primary. Pol, I can see the appeal of using your chill cube for your primary, just pitch and move on. I have noticed that I leave a 1/2" of trub in my cube, but not sure if that's a big deal and I have cube hopped once.

May be selling a plate chiller soon....

Awesome to hear bakins...

It is faster, fewer hoses, water and messing around. Boil, drain, cool overnight then pitch a healthy starter into EVERY batch, why not?

I have had excellent results with my ferments taking off using this method. My SNPA clone is going to get dry hopped next weekend, sometime in late June or early July I am hoping to have it judged.

I DO like using the cooling tank as the primary, it is easy and it is one less vessel to clean. So far, it seems to work well. Now if it didnt, I wouldnt do it of course.

Keep me posted!

I DO like using the cooling tank as the primary, it is easy and it is one less vessel to clean. So far, it seems to work well. Now if it didnt, I wouldnt do it of course.

You just shake it to aerate? What's the height of the ones you have? I may buy one from us plastics.

Latest posts

Back