Apricot wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdwest32

Reaction score
I has just given 2 boxes ~25lbs of Apricots. I am thinking a sweet fruit wine. I also have some peaches and nectarines should i mix them. how do i prepare the apricots. are the skins ok to keep. should i cook them or just go to 150F

Never cook fruit - it makes them reduces flavor and releases pectin, which makes the wine cloudy. I know some people who don't even rinse the fruit.

I say, cut them up, remove the pit. Add a little bit of water and mash it up a bit. Sulfite, and wait 24 hours to take a hydrometer reading to find out how much sugar to add. Also, you will probably have to add acid.

I would destem, wash, halve & pit, then put 'em in gallon size Ziploc bags to freeze solid for a few days. Freezing helps to break down cell walls in the fruit, which means more juice & more flavour from your fruit. I'd leave the skin on the fruit, it'll add some flavour & they'll likely slip off when you mash the fruit (I use a potato masher) anyway.

I wouldn't heat the fruit at all, I'd just use sufites. It's a lot easier, you don't risk setting the pectins & you don't drive off any flavour. You can (and should) use warm water to bring the fruit/must up to pitching temp though. Regards, GF.

thanks for the help. what acid should i add. will lime juice work. I have potassiummetabisulfite. how much do i use. i have D47 yeast will that be OK. Should i add any spices?

Back