Applewood Doppelbock Bacon Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueZooBrewing

Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent "experiment" I did inspired by seeing a Brew Dogs episode involving bacon and beer. I have been wanting to try smoking my own bacon for a while and decided this was the time to do it so I used the following recipe and had some great results.
12 oz homebrew Celebrator clone
16 oz water
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon pink salt #2
1 pound pork belly

Brought all the ingredients to a boil together, let it cool, then poured it into a ziplock with the pork belly to cure for a week. Smoked it over applewood for 4 hours. Pics include right after the smoking, and then after frying up the first batch of slices.

The results? It was amazing. The beer definitely came through with great flavors of toffee and caramel that made the bacon taste like candy... more than bacon usually tastes like candy.

If you haven't already tried smoking your own bacon, I highly recommend it. I will be doing it again for sure, maybe trying a wheat beer or Belgian Trip next time.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Back