AppleKush Recipe Batch#63

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
I have Been dedicated to making cider now for a few years. My recipe is constantly evolving. I do side by side test on every run always tweaking it. This is the latest and greatest…

AppleKush is what i call it. Simi-Sweet Pub Style Cider %7.5 alc

6 Lg Bottles of Langers [(4 apple cider)-(2 Apple Juice) the difference is the apple veriety and flavor but both the same company and price].

681 grams of light turbinado sugar I use a triple beam balance scale to weigh.

400 grams of dextrose

Yeast Nutrient (Optional)

Nottingham Yeast

When racking add 2tbs malic acid. (natural acid derived from apples and pears)

Start:
OG 1.060
Finish:
finishes sweet due to unfermentables in turbinado and notty yeast no need to pasteurize add sorbate or anything.

The Process:
-Dump 4 containers of A.J. into carboy.
-Take the last two containers and dump them out half way.
-Take one half full containers pour A.J. into pot & pour in the terbinado turn the burner on low and stir until the sugar is dissolved add anti-sulfuric acid to that mix and pour into carboy.
-Take the Dextrose Pour that into the last container of A.J. followed by the Yeast. Lid it & give it a shake, let is sit for a few minutes then shake it again then pour into carboy.

if you give it a try let me know how it goes! thanks for reading

Gravity today read 1.010 so i racked to secondary. I like to rack to secondary with a little fermentation to create a nice co2 blanket. There was a noticeable difference in clarity and i took a taste it was really nice still very very sweet too sweet still had a very strong apple taste more then when i used a champagne yeast and only dextrose i like the difference but we will see let me know if u would like pics.

An update on the side by side with champagne yeast, already clear been in secondary three days now, read 1.010 three days ago will let them both sit till they finish out then the back sweeten to taste then bottle, carbonate, and stove top pasteurize or keg, force carb, and cold crash. Any suggestions comments questions?

Finish product holds so much apple flavor you would think i added concentrate, its a major difference if your use to using wine or champagne yeast, because in my opinion they push all the apple flavor out where as the ale yeast leaves behind a significant amount. Also the addition of organic cane sugar gives it that commercial cider taste I'm looking for… :mug:

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

I think I'll try this next time.

Where do you get Langer's? Is it only available on the West Coast? Looking at their juice, I think any natural juice (like CostCo's Kirkland brand) would suffice, but getting my hands on the cider aspect of this recipe might be tough. Any suggestions as to a substitute?

From what I can see of the langer's label, those large bottles are 64oz (1/2 gal). so the whole recipe is 3 gal on liquid? Do you use a 5 gal carboy?

An update on the side by side with champagne yeast, already clear been in secondary three days now, read 1.010 three days ago will let them both sit till they finish out then the back sweeten to taste then bottle, carbonate, and stove top pasteurize or keg, force carb, and cold crash. Any suggestions comments questions?

In your initial post, you say "no need to pasteurize." So I'm assuming you mean when you use the Nottingham, you don't pasteurize. But when using the champagne yeast, you do?

I think I'll try this next time.

Where do you get Langer's? Is it only available on the West Coast? Looking at their juice, I think any natural juice (like CostCo's Kirkland brand) would suffice, but getting my hands on the cider aspect of this recipe might be tough. Any suggestions as to a substitute?

From what I can see of the langer's label, those large bottles are 64oz (1/2 gal). so the whole recipe is 3 gal on liquid? Do you use a 5 gal carboy?

Yes i use a five gallon carboy and i can barely fit all six bottles i actually end up with a little extra juice when I'm done. I've tried them all and personally langers is my favorite, second up is tree top cider. Basically any commercial juice will do. I go for something thats just straight juice no preservative (like ascorbic acid, etc.) but if you can't find any without preservative some with just ascorbic acid will do i just don't recommend it. Commercial juices are preferred because they're easy to work with and clear up real nicely.

In your initial post, you say "no need to pasteurize." So I'm assuming you mean when you use the Nottingham, you don't pasteurize. But when using the champagne yeast, you do?

Well for me on the batch with the champagne yeast i thought it kinda ate away at the flavor a bit compared to the nottingham actually kinda disappointed when trying them side by side the notty one is just impressive…buttt with the champagne batch I pasteurized back sweetened then force carbed. Did a side by side again and its tuff i'd say the nottingham has more of a yeasty taste i'd compare to a farm style cider where the champagne is crisp and sharp. i love them both but prefer the notty yeast. I currently have another batch same recipe but with S-04 going.

Trying this tonight for my kids first bday party on March 1.

2 1 gallon jugs
2 gal Mott's aj
9 oz turbinado
6 oz white sugar (dextrose not available in my LHBS)
2 tsp Yeast nutrient / 1 tsp energizer split in 3 doses
Safale S-04
OG 1.64

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391130696.865816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

very nice!
actually having a glass of this right now :) its wonderful and gets better the longer you age of course. I recently did a side by side test with s-04 yeast and nottingham yeast with this recipe there both just amazing. My girlfriend preferred the nottingham yeast but i preferred the s04. The notttingham was slightly more sweet and had a apple jolly rancher flavor, the s04 was crisp light with apple back flavor almost like white wine and apple juice mixed also with an interesting caramel toffee smell seemed more potent as well. I'm assuming it was just more aggressive and ate more sugar. Since your using table sugar instead of dextrose though i predict your s04 batch to be in between my two flavor profiles.

Please keep me posted with your sugar ratio end result taste though Im very interested as I've never used table sugar instead of dextrose in my ratio mixes but have always wanted to since i get my sugar at costco and i get a 10 pound bag of Organic sugar for 9 bucks thats the same brand as the turbinado sugar in my pics above. anyways hope you enjoy!
:mug:

2 1 gallon jugs
2 gal Mott's aj
9 oz turbinado
Safale S-04
OG 1.64

View attachment 176038

2 1 gallon jugs
2 gal Mott's aj
9 oz turbinado
Safale S-04
OG 1.64

View attachment 176038

For his first birthday? Isn't that still a little young for apple juice, nonetheless, apple cider. I am excited for your cider tho. Keep us posted! :D

Punk, I was gonna wait til he was 21 months but the hell with it, it's his birthday!! 😄

I've only made 5 gallon batches of cider but I'm interested in doing some smaller 1 gallon batches. How are you guys splitting up the yeast on smaller batches?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I've only made 5 gallon batches of cider but I'm interested in doing some smaller 1 gallon batches. How are you guys splitting up the yeast on smaller batches?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I have a nice triple beam balance scale so i just use a fifth of whats in a packet of yeast. You can divide the amount of grams in a packet of yeast by five and measure out to that amount to pitch. hope that help! :mug:

I have a nice triple beam balance scale so i just use a fifth of whats in a packet of yeast. You can divide the amount of grams in a packet of yeast by five and measure out to that amount to pitch. hope that help! :mug:

Okay, that's convenient. How do you keep it stored after you open the packet? Any issue with folding it closed and tossing back in the fridge?

I fold the packets shut an scotch tape them closed. Store them in the fridge.
I pitch using a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon. I divide the packet by five, use a gram to tsp calculation and measure conservatively. Always pitch a hair less that what it comes out to be. Never had a problem so far.

Looks like some smaller batches are in my future

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

We'll so far so good. Bout day 5 the batches developed a thick top krausen on both jugs. It's starring to subside today. Gonna do a hydro test later today to see where we're at. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391876219.362900.jpg

Damn looks like its there take that hydro today for sure i bet u can do a week in primary! Looks like its about 1.010-1.018 i like to transfer at 1.010 and let settle for two weeks then keg and force carb then bottle and age. What's your plan?

Current a.k. batch looking good and smells even better
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391877418.013775.jpg

Here's my new bottles i got 25 for a buck a piece what a score!!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391877578.849032.jpg
That's all i have left of last five gal batch :( i drink to much haha I'm ready to bump up to two carboys a month five gals isn't enough

Lolz, If you go though 10 gal a month you may possibly need a meeting!!

I'm gonna prolly rack to secondary in a few days. Wait 3 weeks, prime and bottle, wait and stove pasteurize the night before my kid's party. No keg setup for me yet :(.

Smells good so far. Very carby right now so getting a good accurate hydro reading may be a prob. :mug:

Sweet bottles!! I using some old Corona and Sam Adams bottles I got for free from a local beer distributor. Flip tops are quite expensive in my LHBS.

Sweet bottles!! I using some old Corona and Sam Adams bottles I got for free from a local beer distributor. Flip tops are quite expensive in my LHBS.

So I checked the gravity on both batch's. First batch Sg at 1.02 and second at 1.01. I racked the second one and gave it a taste. Now I see why you go through 5 gallons a month. Looking really good and cleared up nicely after racking.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391924283.945992.jpg

Had a problem with my batches. Both jugs haven't moved off the Sg's 1.02 and 1.01. Both are starting to smell a bit vinegary and are no longer fermenting. Any suggestions???

Stated a 1 gallon batch of this last night, I used light brown sugar instead of dextrose though. It's already bubbling away

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Had a problem with my batches. Both jugs haven't moved off the Sg's 1.02 and 1.01. Both are starting to smell a bit vinegary and are no longer fermenting. Any suggestions???

I only had this happen to me once when i made some mead the recipe was a lb of honey and a lb of white table sugar i think the problem was they were lying around the kitchen for instance the sugar was out of the same sugar jar we had been scooping out of for awhile for everything so it wasn't sanitary the jar i used and air lock were questionable I believe it was poor sanitation and the fact that I was using things lying around the kitchen now i only use fresh in un-opened bags of sugar and if anything is left open i store it with my brew supply's seperated from kitchen supply in a sealed container. Also for sanitation star San. I can't say this is exactly your issue but I hope it turns out okay good luck

I did notice your bung was one of those rubber ones they tend to get an odd smell might be that.

Definite vinegar taste as well and no kick like a 7% abv beverage should have. Most likely an oxygenation probs from one step sanitizer flowing back into the airlock. I had a krausen issue on days 5 n 6 that pushed itself into the airlock. 1 batch may have made it so i primed and bottled it to see if it carbed and tastes good after it sits for a bit.

Good news is I'm gonna try again today. Got me some whole foods 365 aj and some WLP002 yeast. Gonna make a yeast starter this time and add a bit of maltodextrin for body.

Whole foods aj rocks! Comes in a gallon glass jug I can use for future brews.

The owner of home fermenter center?

Oops...not him. Guess that happens when you drink and type. :drunk:

I sold a case of Grolsh bottles for $25 on Craigslist the same day you posted...figured the chances were pretty good...but again, I was drinking and typing....

I am looking forward to giving your recipe a try though!

Oops...not him. Guess that happens when you drink and type. :drunk:

I sold a case of Grolsh bottles for $25 on Craigslist the same day you posted...figured the chances were pretty good...but again, I was drinking and typing....

I am looking forward to giving your recipe a try though!

Have anymore grolsh bottles you want to sell? Keep us posted when you do try it!

Latest posts

Back