Apple Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timotb

Reaction score
This year I will be using 3 varieties for hard cider:

Red Delicious = sweet rich
Golden Delicious = Sweet. Rich semi-firm
Jonathan = Tart, spicy

I've read that you want a mix of Sweet, Sour and tart. I wonder if this group will have enough sour and maybe I should add Tannin at 1/2 tsp per gallon?

Opinions?

I'd recommend scrapping the red delicious - they dont have much to add to the mix once the sugar is fermented off. GD dont have much either but are better than RD (at least in VA - flavor can vary by climate). If you can, find some flavor/aroma apples - like gala, mac, empire, fuji. rome is also good if you cant find anything else but might make the cider difficult to clear because of high pectin content.

Around here (northern indiana, south chicago) we have Jonagolds. Perfect blend of Jonathans and Golden Delicious. If you can get them do what someone suggested above and add in some fujis (lots of juice for their weight and good aroma).

I like very tart tasting cider, so I add more Jonathans or Grannies until my lips are just ready to pucker. I'm not a McIntosh fan. Weak apple when it comes to transporting, and it smells awful but will still taste fine.

i cave in and buy some grannies when i have a dull tasting juice. they aren't local but they do a got job of souring it up

Both delicious varieties can be difficult to press too. They get all mucky and end up pressing out like apple sauce. If that is what you've got, that is what you've got, so give it a whirl.

Back