Apple Smells??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorE728

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to bottle and over the course of the last few days I have had a chance to smell the fermenting beer while I take some readings. The entire time it has smelled strongly of alcohol, which I expected to be normal. I took my last reading today and haven't smelled the beer in the past few days. To my surprise it smelled like apples.

I'm brewing an English Bitter, so I just wanted to throw it out there to make sure this isn't anything I should be worried about.

Definetly green beer as double stated.
Its very hard to judge a beer before its been truley conditioned. Just keep in mind, your last bottle will always taste the best :( just the way it goes.

To put it in a little more detail, green apple smells and tastes are common with fermenting or newly bottled beers. They're from intermediate chemicals produced during the fermentation process and they'll go away with additional fermenting and aging. Nothing to worry about.

Back