Apple purée

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Diddly

Reaction score
I've been all-grain brewing for a couple of years, but have never attempted a cider. I have a friend who sells apple purée commercially, and I'm wanting to use it for my first attempt at a cider. This is not a juice concentrate, rather a first press of the fruit. None of the recipes call for purée, so I'm not sure how much to use in a 5 gal batch. Any suggestions?

I am thinking the apple puree would be similar to apple sauce. I have not made cider with anything like this, but I have made apple wine where I ground the apples into a thick mass. Then added pectic enzyme, sugar and campden tabs. after 24 to 48 hours, THEN add yeast and monitor the "cap" of apple must, punching it down twice a day.

I don't think I would want to use puree to make a cider. IMO

If you do try it, I would get at least 4 gallons of it, check the gravity. Hopefully you have a refractometer. It might be really tough to get enough clear liquid for a hydrometer sample. Then adjust the gravity with water and/or sugar. I just prepped two batches at 1.054, which should yield me a 7% cider, if it completely ferments to 1.000.

Good luck

Back