apple juice three days at 60 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruslandon

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm making cider for the first time. I even pressed the apples myself. But for reasons partly out of my control, my juice (6 gallons) set at a cool room temperature for three days (60 deg F), then two days in the fridge. I am now getting around to making cider. I tasted the juice right out of the fridge and it had a different taste than when fresh pressed, probably to no surprise. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any reason this juice is no longer good for making cider. I plan to use Campden tablets and then champagne yeast.
Thanks,

Russell

^^^I concur, go for it. I have a question though, what will the fermentation temperature be after you pitch the yeast? The optimum temperature for EC-1118 is 57-64*F and is a fairly aggressive yeast, so your 60*F area where your must was previously will be a happy temperature for the yeast.
Ciders like to be fermented at cooler temperatures as a rule; fast fermentation drives off a lot of the aromatics in the CO2 bubbles.

Latest posts

Back