Apple / Grape Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
All,

I recently started a cider with 4.5 gallons apple cider (from Costco - no preservatives, seasonal...good stuff) and .5 gallon grape juice by Paul Newman (also de Costco).

I sprinkled a packet of Cider House Select Cider yeast.

OG - 1.060

I suspect the grape won't leave enough of a flavor to make the taste different. Any thoughts on the grape, or the recipe overall?

--J.

I've done the same but with cran or pom and it made a difference.

I like the cran. Pom not so much. Grape sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

I will do so. My thinking was that grape / apple blends can be quite good, so I decided to try the same...fermented.

I really enjoyed the cider I made with grape/apple: I put 1 gal ****ty storebought juice with one 12oz can of Welch's frozen grape 'cocktail'. I used Cote des Blanc yeast, and brewed right in the plastic jug that the juice came it. I put the whole thing in the fridge after a week, added some campden & sorbate, and bottled chilled to keep the carbonation in. Turned out fabulous.

For next batch(es), try apple white grape, peach white grape apple. There are some really tasty combos of ciders at the end of fermentation available. I like to freeze my hard cider into applejack, and get flavors that are just amazing. If you are going to freeze concentrate your hard ciders; a little of the brandy flavor the grapes give off mixed with just apple is nice to drink.Other great combos are apple-peach, apple-apricot,apple-cranberry. There are so many juice combos to try to make at home, the garage would only be able to park 1 car now instead of the previous 2.

Back