Apologies, element+ rheostat setup q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matteroftaste

Reaction score
hello all,

i am very sorry as i am sure as this has been well covered before but i've searched for over an hour and am still totally ignorant.

I basically want to convert my 13.5 gal sanke keg into a boiler, using an electric element, but with flexibility in batch size.

it would seem to me that the best way to do this would be with an element that could boil 10+ gal easily and a rheostat so that i can turn it down for 5 gal batches.

so my questions are
1, is this feasible?
2, is there a better option?
3, what element choices would i need to make?

thanks guys, i look forward to any help you can offer.

I think you will want a 5500 Watt 240v heating element for 10 gallon batches. Many people use the camco or similar Ultra Low Watt Density elements to prevent scorching.
If you have this power source available there are multiple ways to reduce element power for smaller batches including:

* PID with manual power mode
* PWM circuit and SSR
* Phase angle control SSR.

I think you will want a 5500 Watt 240v heating element for 10 gallon batches. Many people use the camco or similar Ultra Low Watt Density elements to prevent scorching.
If you have this power source available there are multiple ways to reduce element power for smaller batches including:

* PID with manual power mode
* PWM circuit and SSR
* Phase angle control SSR.

thanks for the reply, could someone please explain what these mean? which is the easiest to diy or buy?

For PID check out auberins.com
For PWM or phase angle SSR search on amazon or ebay for parts/prices.

Highgravitybrew.com makes some off the shelf solutions to control element power for $250+.
You will find plenty of DIY examples and schematics on this forum. Kal's site has step by step instructions and parts list for each step in building a high end electric setup at theelectricbrewery.com

For PID check out auberins.com
For PWM or phase angle SSR search on amazon or ebay for parts/prices.

Highgravitybrew.com makes some off the shelf solutions to control element power for $250+.
You will find plenty of DIY examples and schematics on this forum. Kal's site has step by step instructions and parts list for each step in building a high end electric setup at theelectricbrewery.com

many thanks, ill look into this, although 'high end' seems way off my target, all I'm aiming for is something functional.

While Kal's site describes the construction and workings of a "high-end" system, it also lays out the major principles in implementing an electric brewery. It is well worth reading even if you are looking to construct something more modest.

ive been digging around constantly since i posted yesterday and i think im gonna go for two 3kw heaters in the kettle so i can have one or both on. seems to be the best way of having the option of going for a bigger boil. cheaper too, seeing as i can get each element for less than £20 inc postage.
thanks for the help though, i hope to go for the full electric setup, including controllers and pumps, once i have a mortgage and home big enough for my dream man cave!

Back