Aphrodite: Ommegang Limited Edition Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolboxdiver

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a clone for this I tried it on the battleship New Jersey at the WMGK Brew Blast and it was off the chart, I never did a lambic and need some help putting this recipe together
here is what the website says about it

In Greek mythology, Aphrodite rises from the foam of the
waves of the sea, enchanting all who see her, and inciting thoughts of love and lust where ever she goes.

We could hardly say it more eloquently. Our Limited Edition Aphrodite Ale is ethereal, intriguing and mysterious – as the Goddess Aphrodite
must have been. Aphrodite has champagne-like carbonation, much as the foam of the waves of the sea. Plus enchanting flavors with whispers of raspberry and pear, and hints of funk and tartness created by the Brett yeast. The refreshing dryness comes from the unusual combination of Ommegang and Brett yeasts, and incites feelings of love and thirst, though we don’t know about lust. Grains of paradise are infused into the nectar, and when poured Aphrodite is crowned with a luxuriously shimmering rose-pink head.

Ommegang
Aphrodite: Ommegang Limited Edition Ale

Belgian-style
fruit beer with Brett yeast

Malts: Pils
and carapils

Hops: Celeia

Fermentation:
Ommegang house & Brett yeasts

Spices:
Grains of paradise

Fruit:
Natural raspberry & pear juices

OG: 14.5
Plato

FG: 2.8
Plato

ABV: 8.9%

IBU: 19

As I understand it, the beer is a pilsner-based ale fermented with their Belgian yeast strain and brett with raspberry, pear and grains of paradise added during secondary fermentation. I guess all of that is in your post but I don't think this is quite a lambic or anything aged incredibly long. It's probably 6-12 months of aging before getting released.

I scored a bottle last weekend but I haven't tasted it yet. I'm really excited but I want to save it since it was $15 for the bottle.

As I understand it, the beer is a pilsner-based ale fermented with their Belgian yeast strain and brett with raspberry, pear and grains of paradise added during secondary fermentation. I guess all of that is in your post but I don't think this is quite a lambic or anything aged incredibly long. It's probably 6-12 months of aging before getting released.

I scored a bottle last weekend but I haven't tasted it yet. I'm really excited but I want to save it since it was $15 for the bottle.

they had it at the WMGK Brew Blast on the battleship USS New Jersey and I had about 6 glasses it was my favorite beer of the Beer fest just because it was like nothing I ever tried and never knew you could make a beer like that
:mug:

also, it's so damned new I wouldn't count on finding a clone for it.

I'mgoing to try to make a clone then, I'm new at AG BVrewing but I have been making Mead for 20 plus years. I just need to understand the Brett yeast a tad more before i tackle this. Looks like I'll do a 10 gal batch of a the base beer then rack on my Rasberry Pear Honey mix for a 5 gal batch and keg the rest of the base beer

Here is my base beer recipe and I'm going to rack 4 gal on top of a homemade Raspberry Pear Honey juice with grains of paradise add the brett bacteria and age it in secondary for 6 months to a year, keg it, carb it and enjoy it, and of course I'll be enjoying the rest of the Kegged Belgian Wit Ale that was left over hehehe. its going to cost me about $100 for 5 gal of the Aphrodite Clone and 6 gal of the Blue Moon type Belgian Wit Ale so we will see how I did in about 6 months

:mug:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400
Batch Size (Gallons): 13
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes:

Ingredients

9.5 lb Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
6 lb White Wheat Malt
5 lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Cascade (7.5%) (30min)
1 oz Cascade (7.5%) (5 min)
1 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)
1 oz Coriander Seed, Crushed (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)
yeast starter
Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight (lb's)--20.5

Well like I said I haven't tasted it yet but from the description I would go 90-95% pilsner and the rest of the grain bill as carapils. Then just enough bittering hops to get to the right IBUs. Add the grains of paradise towards the end of the boil at the amount normally used in a 5 gallon beer. Ferment with a belgian abbey strain (culture ommegang's strain if you want) and then add brett. I would guess it to be brett l but maybe a different strain. Then add raspberry and pear juice to flavor/color.

I'm curious to hear how this attempt to re-create Aphrodite turned out?

How did you determine how much raspberry/pear/grains of paradise to use in secondary, and how did you end up prepping them to go into the fermentor?

Sorry if this is too off topic... but.

I picked up a bottle of OA last week and noticed a large amount of yeasty sediment. I assume at least some of this is the brett yeast. I was thinking about trying to make a starter with this and do a full or partial brett beer with it. Has anyone had any luck culturing yeast from a bottle of Aphrodite? Feel free to delete if I should make my own seperate thread.

Back