Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
So if I told you that my wife made a batch of apfelwein with 5 lbs sugar instead if 2 - our scale is in kilos not pounds which she did not know, how nasty will this taste?

Heh I have done exactly the same thing once.
Let's just say it will take a lot longer to age and it will really kick your ass when you do get around to drinking it.

After 3 months the taste was still pretty much rocket fuel with an appley aftertaste. I still drank it all though.

No problem, it will just come in at around 13% abv, and you'll have to wait 18-24 months to drink it ;)

Holy hot Alcohol !! you'll be fine just have a few asprin for the next morning. Age it a bit longer.... or depending on which yeast you used ie. ec-1118 and if you have another fermentor you could add more juice to another carboy and rack until the proper gravity is reached then top up the original carboy and have 10 gallons of apfelwein instead of 5 gallons.

MadMarty911 said:
Any way to balance that alcohol out?

I know there are formulas for dilution and you will need to know you OG from the first batch with the 5 lbs of sugar in it as we'll as the FG , then based on the SG of the dilution liquid you would calculate the amount of liquid to dilute the original afelwein to reach the intended gravity. That's about the best I can offer for making it balance someone with more formula knowledge may be able to chime in with a better explination. Or just let it be and age it for about 2 years and it may mellow out just fine.

Dude, I did almost the same thing and the girlfriend was involved. I put in 2lbs of corn sugar then she put in 2lbs of corn sugar. I drank it 4 months later and it was fantastic and really strong, it had a heat behind it. I used ec1118. Next stop... SIX pounds of sugar!!! (j/K)

Back