Apfelwein, Gravity & Yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOFEAR10199

Reaction score
My first post and Apfelwien. I have a few questions I have been reading the posts and I think I got this but please let me know if I'm doing ok. I used a 5g glass carboy with 4.5g tree top apple, 3pd dextose, 1pd brown sugar, wine yeast with 2 tsp Yeast nutrient. shaken not stirred lol. my Beginning Gravity at 80+ deg was 1.077.

I'm not sure on what temperature i should be storing at but I'm planning on waiting 2 weeks and giving it 2 more tsp nutrient (then shake?). then 2 more weeks 1 tsp nutrient. at two Months take Gravity reading, I'm waiting for something close to 1.000 this should give me 11% abv correct? Then bottle half and Carbonate half. Drink and repete.

Please any advise will be greatly appreciated.

One last thing I also have Potassium Sorbate how do i use this? :tank:

What fg should I be looking for? What temp should I try for I'm in Phoenix no basements and it's nice In The ninty's.

Thanks again

I would suggest you read Eds recipe in the sticky thread "man I love apflewein" at the top f the wine section he covers it well. Temps just do the best you can t stay coolish. Hpe it turns out wellm I'm planning on bottling my today. Made it with ec1118 because I had it and brwn sugar because my nearest HBS is 1.5 hours drive one way and brown sugar was a handy. have corn sugar on hand now to try the original recipe when I get a free carboy. Enjoy

I am absolutely NOT a fan of dry wine. What do I do to Ed's Apfelwein to make it semi-sweet. 2# of corn sugar just ain't gonna hack it. I use brown sugar, too, for my coffee and green tea.

Thanks, Bob, My friend from Austria used 7Up in her wine, because her husband used no sugar at all in his grapes, and used old oak whiskey kegs from the Calvert distillery here in MD. You can imagine that taste.

I'll probably wind up using a couple pounds of lactose in one of my carboys and leave one for the ones who like it DRY, DRY.

HAGD

Bob

Hey guys thanks for all the help got a few more questions.

I took a sample today on week 3. I got a gravity reading of 1.000. @ 66 deg. Taste very dry can I back sweetin and bottle or do I need to wait? Im also planning on using potassium sorbate.

Thank you, I use HB Talk for fast response

No. You don't need to wait, because there is no fermentation involved. You don't need a "secondary" with Apfelwein.

Now... if you want "effervescent" jack, add a tsp of corn sugar to a 20 oz. or a pint bottle, at bottling time. Be sure to use "explosive-proof" bottles. I use the 20 oz. soda bottles for beer, and store in a cool place.

My question is: Where do I get the Red Star Montrachet yeast?

I searched the yeasts and don't see it. Otherwise I have my apple-juice, carboy and sugar ready to go.

:ban:

I would suggest you read Eds recipe in the sticky thread "man I love apflewein" at the top f the wine section he covers it well. Temps just do the best you can t stay coolish. Hpe it turns out wellm I'm planning on bottling my today. Made it with ec1118 because I had it and brwn sugar because my nearest HBS is 1.5 hours drive one way and brown sugar was a handy. have corn sugar on hand now to try the original recipe when I get a free carboy. Enjoy

Corn SYRUP is good to use, too. It's more readily available, at Wal*Mart, for example. Corn syrup IS corn sugar. Just check the ratio. As a plus, WM has it with brown sugar added.

For those of you that like it a little sweet - if you use Lavlin 1116 with No Name Apple Juice (Not from concentrate) you should end up with FG 1.010. At least I have twice in a row.

Latest posts

Back