Apfelwein Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
I'm going to make a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein this evening and was wondering what the ideal fermentation temps are? I'm not sure if the higher temps in my apartment will affect the Montrachet yeast the same way it would an ale yeast. Is 75-80 way too hot? I can try to keep it in the low 70's but with this heat wave I don't know...

Thanks!

The temperature range for Montrachet is 59-86, so it will certainly be doable in the 70s. Unlike ale yeast, you won't get such drastic esters by fermenting a few degrees on the warm side, but it's still generally advisable to keep it under 80, and more importantly, a relatively stable temp if at all possible.

Thanks marubozo, that calms my fears. I just finished putting the airlock on and cleaning up. I didn't see anything about aerating in the recipe on here though, so I just added the yeast and then added the last bit of apple juice and capped the sucker. Is that okay or should I go shake it up real quick to aerate?

Excellent, I'll just wait it out for about 2 months and then bottle I think. Unless you'd recommend longer, I've just heard that 2 months is the minimum. Or is that time in bottle?

As you've read, time = quality when it comes to the stuff. I've had it at a variety of ages and can only agree that it gets better the longer you wait. But after the fermentation is done it really doesn't matter if you're giving it time in the fermenter or bottles, since each will make it come around. So if you want to go a few months and then bottle, it will be fine to drink by then. But if you let some of those bottles sit another 4 months they will be even better. :D

I pretty much always have a batch in rotation and what I do is let one sit in the better bottle for 3 months and then keg. When I transfer to keg I mix up another batch. Then the one I kegged sits in the keg for another few months at room temp before putting it in the keezer where it's ready to be served, and the cycle continues. But I will say that the first batch I made and bottled, I still have some bottles that are now over a year old and they are really, really good. And my latest batch I made back in February and just kegged it last weekend, and it too is already pretty amazing. So, all I can say is give it time if you can, and after about a month or so you may want to get another batch started because once you start drinking the first one it will be gone before you know it.

Apple juice just happens to be on sale this week and it's time to mix up another batch, so thanks for the reminder.

I'll piggyback on the Apfelwein thread...

I'm going to get a batch of this going in the next week, but was curious of carbonation levels. When kegging, what volume of CO2 do you guys usually shoot for with this stuff? (I know it should be pretty bubbly)

I'll piggyback on the Apfelwein thread...

I'm going to get a batch of this going in the next week, but was curious of carbonation levels. When kegging, what volume of CO2 do you guys usually shoot for with this stuff? (I know it should be pretty bubbly)

All depends on what you like. I have two in the keezer right now and one is carbed up at about 3.5 vols and I have another one at just barely 2. People seem to like it both ways, so for now I'll just leave it set up for one of each. :D

Okay I have another question: Does the carboy need to be covered to keep it out of the light like a beer, or can it just be sitting around like it has been since last night?

You don't need to worry about the skunking effects that light does to hops in beer, but it's still best practice to keep it in a dark place, or at least out of direct sunlight if possible. It will help keep the temp stable, keep the wine from fading in color, and keep UV light from altering the flavor over time. I believe the UV light can break down some of the compounds in the apple juice and cause it to interfere with the natural aging process.

So how long will it cellar for? has anyone ever tried it much past a year?

I ask because my only batch made it to 3 months and it was then consumed rapidly over the holidays last year. I want to make some more and shelve it for a few years if it will go that long.

Back