Apfelwein didn't carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
Hey guys

A friend of mine and I tried out Edwort's recipe for the first time and it doesn't seem like it has carbed properly. It has been bottled for over a month now and it has almost no carbonation at all. When you pop the top you get just a small sound of carbing and then when you pour it in a class there are very few bubbles.

Only thing I can think of is that the high alcohol killed the yeast so there wasn't any available when it came time to use priming sugar and carb in the bottle.

Mine ended up being 7.7%. Is that too high for the yeast?

It's still enjoyable to drink, and it is definitely getting better by the week, I'm trying to let it age as much as possible like Edwort recommended. There has been a pretty noticeable yeast taste until the one I tried last night.

Couple things to consider:

*Temperature - are they sitting somewhere in the 70's.... too cool and they won't carb.

*Was the sugar mixed in thoroughly... if it is not mixed well some bottle can end up with little carb and others too much.

7.7% should not kill yeast.

I had a barley wine that was having problems. I put the bottles in regular beer bottle cases and turned them upside down for a couple minutes and back right side up to get yeast back in suspension and set the boxes in a south facing window for a couple weeks where they could be warmer. It was still not ideal, but the carbonation came around better.

I'll have to try that. They sat in a dark area that maintains 69 to 71 degrees. Same place I store all my beers, and I've never had a problem before.

I thought about the mixing if the sugars and that is still a possibility. But I've taken all my bottle samples from different parts of the bottling process and they're all the same.

Back