Apfelwein Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
I just made two simple french loaves using the yeast cake from my Apfelwein. I used a slurry based on the remains after racking as a substitute for the water called for in the recipe. The whole house smells like apple, and I got a wonderful rise while in the oven.

Has a nice hint of apple to the bread. Consistency is medium to light. Crispy crust, chewy inside. Has a touch of yeastyness, but I like it.

DSC03281.jpg

dough:
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour (do 5 and then work in ~1/2 while kneeding)
2 cups Apfelwein yeast slurry
1 1/2 tsp salt

For the slurry, add a small amount of water to the bottom of the fermenter (try to use no more than what would bring the total to 2 cups of liquid). Slosh it around to get all the yeast goodness. Pour out and measure. Top up with water to bring to 2 cups.

glaze:
1 egg white
1/2 cup water

Kneed 8 minutes, rise, punch down, refrigerate over night at warmest setting on your fridge, rise, form loaves, glaze, proof, cut top, bake for 20 minutes at 375, reglaze, cover loosely with foil, bake for 20 more minutes. I use a large oval terra cotta flower pot base as a baking stone. Put a dish with several cups of water in the bottom of the oven to give a little humidity.

I used Montrachet in the Apfelwein as in the standard recipe. Was in primary for about a month. I don't know if the yeast flavor would be more pronounced with other strains?

Latest posts

Back