apfelwein and lacto???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
so I had an idea last night of doing an apfelwein with peach juice added (had it before, tasted great) but was wondering if I pitched some lacto in it to get a sour tartness in it if it would turn out good. has anyone ever tried anything similar to that before?

It's not my intention to hijack, but...

Thats a great question, as I have recently started playing with bugs. Will the lacto enhance the flavors of the peach/apple?

Rumor has it that the Spanish like their sidre with a little bit of lacto. I think it is lacto... anyway, you might look into researching that.

once I get into my new place this is going to be my next experiment. hopefully it turns out good.

awesome! thanks for the good info. I can't wait to move so I can get this puppy started!

the only concern i would have with adding lacto to apfelwein is that it has a really thin body and the lacto may be a little too straight forward with no body to balance it out with.

ive done ciders that i have brewed with brett b as the primary yeast and then cold crash them and racked them at the desired FG to stop fermentation, but i usually do that to leave some body to it and not to let it dry out. They have turned out well, the last one i let age in the bottles for 4 months and they picked up a slight funky mango/pineapple flavors. it was very nice

the only concern i would have with adding lacto to apfelwein is that it has a really thin body and the lacto may be a little too straight forward with no body to balance it out with.

ive done ciders that i have brewed with brett b as the primary yeast and then cold crash them and racked them at the desired FG to stop fermentation, but i usually do that to leave some body to it and not to let it dry out. They have turned out well, the last one i let age in the bottles for 4 months and they picked up a slight funky mango/pineapple flavors. it was very nice

What apples are you using? Different apples have different tannins, so if you are worried about thin body, you need higher tannin apples.

http://www.cider.org.uk/appledat.htm
Apples from the grocery store are usually "sharps," that is, high acid, low tannin.

Latest posts

Back