Apfelvein Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My first batch of Apfelvien....I learned a lot. By a lot, I mean I messed up a bit...and wont do that stuff again.

One question...but first what I did wrong:

1) I did not fill my 1 gallon carboy all the way to the top, as I was using lalvin 1118 yeast and afraid of crazy bubble over. (It was 100% fine)

2) I did not use the last of the AJ properly to wash down the rest of the yeast...so a bunch of yeasties got stuck to the top part, and dried to the side of the carboy. EWW.

**So it has been 4 weeks, and it is not clear at all. Hydrometer reading says dry as a bone. Therefore, would it be useful to rack into a clean carboy and fill up that headspace? 1) to let it clear. 2) to avoid off flavours from those dead yeasts/ huge head space?

Cant hurt no?

Thanks in advance guys,

Joel.

Just leave it alone for another few weeks and see how it goes. In the end, it should be fine.

Seriously though, how do people keep messing up Apfelwein? Chef Boyardee is harder to make. 5 gallons apple juice, 2 pounds corn sugar, 1 packet Montrachet, shake like mad, ignore for 4-6 weeks. :drunk:

Cant hurt no?

Actually, it could. Let the yeast finish. It will clear. Mine usually takes two months at 65F before its crystal clear. No worries about that yeast on the neck of the carboy either. That happens when I use 1118 because there is a little more foam than montrachet. The headspace doesn't matter because it is full of CO2 from the fermentation. So if you're worried about oxidation in that regard, you are actually more likely to have that problem if you rack. Unfortunately, Apfelwein is a long wait.

Cheers

Not sure if anyone is seeing this....its a week later. I have not seen a single bubble in 4 weeks, and cant take a hydro reading. Not clearing at all...shouldn't the yeast "finishing up" be producing something...anything?

or am I crazy and just LEAVE IT?

Joel-I have two five gallon batches I started on March 15 and they are far from being cleared. I'm just letting it ride. Others on this site have mentioned long clearing times so I would recommend set it to the back where you don't see it everyday and let it rest.

Yes, fermentation is done. But if you let it sit for a another couple of weeks, it'll clear right up. My 4 month batch was crystal clear.

Do what Tex said. Put it out of sight and forget about it.

I think the reason for the longer clearing may be due to me using non "walmart" juice. The apple juice I used was sold in an organics store and even though not cider...still MUCH more cludy to start with then the wallmart stuff.

JB

Not sure if anyone is seeing this....its a week later. I have not seen a single bubble in 4 weeks, and cant take a hydro reading. Not clearing at all...shouldn't the yeast "finishing up" be producing something...anything?

or am I crazy and just LEAVE IT?

relax son, thats what apfelwien does.

please just leave it alone. it'll be clear as crystal in 8 weeks... give or take two on either end.

RDWHAHB.

1118 makes some awful apfelwien. Way too dry.

"awful" is in the taste of the beholder...

I've used EC-1118 several times and found it to be Just fine.
I like dry. and Even if I didn't - 3/4 to a cup of splenda will take care of that nicely.

looks like a job for Mr Backsweaten!

Are you referring to this man:
backsweat.jpg

Mine has been clearing for weeks... tomorrow will be the beginning of week 8!!! SG has been moving slowing down.... 1.002 two weeks ago and second reading this past week was 1.001 I don't know if it will finish up below 1 or not...

It's fermenting but finally slowing down and I think I'll be able to bottle next Friday, Hooray!!!

1118 makes a great apfelwein, and doesn't have any rhino fart smell, and it's quicker.

I'm assuming you are refering to the heady vapors that Montrechet is famous for...

pizza - do you use yeast nutrient with your Applejuice/Montrechet brews?
you should - I always do and I've yet to detect a single whiff of rhino with any of my montrechet brews - ever. I think nutrient is the key on this - just 2tablespoons to 5 gallons seems to do the trick.

to my understanding rhino farts is perfectly natural and harmless - and disipates with time, it's simply an inconvienence which could result in SWMBO ordering you to brew outside of the main part of the house... but it can be eliminated/reduced to socially acceptable levels with nutrient.

I'm assuming you are refering to the heady vapors that Montrechet is famous for...

pizza - do you use yeast nutrient with your Applejuice/Montrechet brews?
you should - I always do and I've yet to detect a single whiff of rhino with any of my montrechet brews - ever. I think nutrient is the key on this - just 2tablespoons to 5 gallons seems to do the trick.

to my understanding rhino farts is perfectly natural and harmless - and disipates with time, it's simply an inconvienence which could result in SWMBO ordering you to brew outside of the main part of the house... but it can be eliminated/reduced to socially acceptable levels with nutrient.

I made a 3 gallon batch of with Montrachet/Yeast Nutrient and experienced the rhino farts at 23 hours after pitching of the yeast. However, the Rhino Farts only lasted 6 or 7 hours and everything is back to normal.

Back