APA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animalx

Reaction score
I want to make a pale ale and I have some base grains. 8lbs 2 row, 1lb vienna, 1lb crystal 60. Any suggestions on a hop schedule, I have 1 oz cascade, 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz of Citra? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

animalx,
I've made a few real nice APA's, I normally brew them for my friends that drink lighter beers, that I've almost pulled away from drinking bud and such.
I recommend going to BeerSmith online and browsing their recipe database, I don't think that you have to be a member, but if you do, I believe it is free.
I've found many real exceptional recipes in their online database, from APA to Oktoberfest, to big named IPA clones.
I usually try the award winning recipes, they haven't disappointed yet, 4 or 5 have made it into my normal "beer rotation", or inventory!

Great ingredients for a decent APA. You could go many ways with such a grain bill and hops. We like hoppy beers, even APA's are on the high end of their range. I'd use the 1 oz of Citra @ 60, then late hop the Cascade and Amarillo, adjusting the time for how many IBU's you're shooting for. Perhaps 1/2 oz each at 5 min. or flameout, then dry hopping with the other 1/2 of each. Any way you go you will have a great beer. Good luck and have fun...

Pumpkinman thanks for the suggestion. I normally have a better plan then this, however I had bought ingredients to do 10 gallons of an Amarillo PA, and decided to do 5 gallons and then change it up the second with the Citra I had around for an experimental recipe. I think I am going to bitter with cascade and then .25 of each at 15 and 5. I don't have much experience with citra, except I like zombie dust.

Humm my citra hops smell bad. It has a wet cat smell/piney smell. Is that typical of the batch this year?

Thanks norsk, I might not even use the citra..doesn't smell nearly as good as either the Amarillo or Cascade.

Back