APA Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew an APA this weekend. Got an idea on what I want to do, sort of inspired by Yooper's Pale Ale (the malt bill, at least). This is for a 3 gallon batch. Let me know what you think..

Malt Bill
46% 2 Row Pale
23% Vienna
11.5% Munich 10L
11.5% Wheat
2.9% Flaked Wheat
5% Table Sugar

Hop Bill
Small bittering charge of Magnum
2oz each Chinook and Sterling, 1oz Comet at flameout for ~30 min hop stand.
Dry Hop w/ 1oz each Chinook, Sterling, Comet

(There's a great local brew here called Belt & Suspenders by Buckle Down Brewing that I recently enjoyed very much. They use Nugget, Crystal and Sterling. It's considered an IPA but it's not your typical grapefruit, citrus bomb. More of a floral, spice w/ some citrus flavor/aroma. That's kinda what I'm going for here)

Yeast : WY1318, 1L starter

I'm debating whether or not I should add any crystal malt to the bill.. I do want the hops to come through pretty well so I'm leaning towards no crystal. Any critiques are welcome and appreciated.

What temp are you mashing at? I would recommend perhaps mashing low (say 148-150) and cutting the sugar in half or eliminate all together. My current IPA finished at 1.01 with no sugar added, but I did mash at 148-150F for 60mins.

I would keep the crystal out unless you want that sweetness. I like IPA's with and without crystal, so I am indifferent to it.

Looks like it will be a good beer overall! I don't have experience with comet/sterling hops (yet) to comment on the flavors and such with that. The malt choice looks tasty and interesting... My most recent IPA that I am bottling this weekend is mostly a combo of 2-row (77%), munich (7.7%), Vienna (7.7%) and victory (4%)... Was very delicious when sampled.

I've had good results mashing right around 149 and adding 5% simple sugar to the boil. I like my pales/IPAs very dry.

I'm also wondering if the Flaked Wheat is really necessary in this recipe. I was just thinking of adding it to ensure the beer will have good head retention, but I'm wondering if the Vienna, Munich or Wheat will take care of that

I used a large amount fo flaked wheat in my last DIPA. But if you are only looking to add it for head retention, I dont think youd need it

Well ive found any kind fo wheat is great in IPAs to compliment fruity hops and bring out a juicy character. This particular one I went with straight up OJ character with flaked wheat, flaked oats, and flour for a good body and permanent haze. Used a crapload of orangey hops. I posted about it a bit here. I think im going to be bottling the rest of the keg with my beer gun next week and trying to get rid of it before it fades from its glory...a couple HBTers wanted a bottle
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=456593
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=545021

So I brewed this up over the weekend. LHBS was out of Sterling so I had to go w/ Saaz. This was my first beer I've brewed where all of the hops went in at flameout. I entered the flameout addition into Beersmith as a 5 min addition and it calculated ~40 IBUs so I'm interested to see what kind of bitterness I'll get from this beer (and how accurate this method is when trying to calculate IBUs from flameout hops).

Ended up cutting out the flaked wheat and did not add any crystal. I'll try to remember to post up the results when it's bottled and tasted

Back