Anyway to increase FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWestBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a string of batches not hit their final FG. All have been significantly higher. Most likley due to bad thermometer I have been told. Anyway I used some Convertase 300 to see if I could get my last two batches fermentation to restarte and boy did they ever. I used too much, even though I only used 1 ml for a 3 gallon batch but both have now fermented to 1.000!!!. The sample still tasted pretty good but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to up the FG a few points.

Thanks

Yes, but I'd start by asking why you want to raise the FG?

You could technically boil some maltodextrin in boiling water and then put it in a carboy and rack the beer onto that. That would add some unfermentable sugar raising the FG and boosting the mouthfeel.

But if it tastes good, I'd leave it as is. Remember that carbonation is going to add mouthfeel as well, so it is going to taste less "thin" than it does now.

sounds like he overcorrected and now has an extremely dry beer.
Right, which is the assumption I based the rest of my response on. But the OP said it still tastes good which is why I asked. I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy.

NewWestBrewer - Either lactose or maltodextrin could be added at this point and increase the body. Lactose would add more perceptible sweetness if that's your goal.

Back