Anything to worry about in my mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made this before and it was a HUGE hit. It was partial mash/extract when I made it before, so I tried to convert it and maintain the integrity of the original brew. This is for a 10 gallon batch. I was thinking 10 gallons of water at 150 for 1 hour.

I do BIAB and plan to do a single step infusion sparge. Anything I should be weary of during the mash? I've never done one this large.

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Flaked Oats (7.4%)
6 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (22.2%)
14 lb - American - White Wheat (51.9%)
1 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (3.7%)

I've never done BiaB, so I can't speak to nuances there.

If this were a traditional mash, I'd be worried about the high ratio of adjuncts to barley malt. Specifically, I'd be concerned about having enough enzyme activity to get conversion and about having enough husk material for the grain bed to flow.

My 2nd concern may not be a problem in BiaB, but if it were my mash, I'd add rice hulls. They're very cheap insurance.

As for the enzymatic activity, you could either give it a shot and see what you get, or you could switch out your 2-row for 6-row which will give you higher enzyme activity. You could also add liquid enzymes.

I'll readily admit, though, that I have no experience with beers that have that high an adjunct percentage. You might have no problems at all with enzymes. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Back