Anything cool people have added to their cider for flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm a cool person and have made cider but it was just apple juice and brown sugar. You may want to expand your query to include noncool people as well.

ive heard putting oats in your cider during fermentation makes it creamy and imparts a very good taste. never tried it myself but im planing on adding oats to my next batch to see what all the craze is about.

any fruit you can think of
candy should work in secondary, wouldn't use it for primary due to preservatives

hmmmmm, skittle cider.....

I ran a couple of cartons of black berries through the juicer and sterilized with a campden tablet.

no I don't think so, It's just to kill any microbes I used it in my pear and blackberry juice with no noticeable impact

i'm a cool person and have made cider but it was just apple juice and brown sugar. You may want to expand your query to include noncool people as well.

I've added cool people to my cider before, gives it lots of body :p

im working on something right now, i added honey to primary and then added homemade strawberry concentrate to secondary..im going to bottle it later this week so we will see where i stand after that.

Not all together, but I've added these to ciders:
Caraway seed
Molasses
LME
Various crystal malts
Raisins
Hops
Ginger
Regards, GF.

Strawberry Puree, took a long time to clear, but the strawberry flavour was subtle and enjoyed by my wife.

We add cinnamon sticks/nutmeg/a few cloves every few batches. Nice chaser for brandy shots in the winter:tank:

I'd look at the kind of flavor additions (fruits, spices, etc.) that people have done in primary in meads for inspiration. The sky is pretty much the limit, especially if you're fermenting for a full period.

17 litres apple juice
740 grams sugar
Kitzinger Reinhefe Champagner yeast

2 weeks in the fermenter.

Add:

500 ml raspberry juice (about 1kg thawed, squeezed, strained)

(leftover bits are enough to make two jars of raspberry jam)

1 more week in the fermenter.

Oh yeah, incredible flavour.

Back