Anyone with experience using cultured Schneider Weisse yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob

Reaction score
Or if there's a Wyeast/Wlabs product that is the same yeast, that would work too.

Basically I cultured up a bunch of yeast from the dregs of a half dozen bottles, and made a Hefe Fermented at 70F, it turned out ok, but with muted clove and banana flavours.

I made a new batch Monday, cooled to 60F and pitched the week old washed yeast from the old batch, hoping that the lower pitching temp would bring out more of the clove taste then raise the temp after fermentation kicks off to bring on the banana.

Now 48 hours later I have no activity whatsoever, which is strange, but im not completely worried yet (I have a saison 3724 at high krausen that I can harvest from to save the wort). The question really is, what's the optimal way to use this yeast? I was trying to follow some of the other Hefe recipes and pitch temps and such, but I get the feeling the temps I've tried just aren't optimal.

Just an update, I gave the fermenter a swirl once it hit 68F and a few hours later had a thin krausen, smells of clove and banana, so it's alive.

So it seems like at least the Schneider I managed to culture doesn't like being pitched at 60. Fermenting at 69F currently, and no explosive fermentation like last time yet either.

Back