Anyone using Stout Tanks sparge arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasitim

Reaction score
Did a first brew yesterday with new 20gal eHerms with Stout Tanks and all bells and whistles. Like most new endeavors, a bit of a goat rodeo but good fun and learning and looking forward to years of fun brewing.

I have the Stout Tanks sparge arm. I'm a bit confused about it's use. You'd expect to have water coming out all of the holes in a nice spray during fly sparge, but given how slowly you're draining from the MT to the BK, I don't really have a spray but a sloppy dribble. I'm obviously not using this piece correctly.

Can someone who's using this piece give me some guidance, please?

I have one, and I pump sparge water through it for a minute or so at high enough volume to get a good spray, and then turn off the pump, all the while slowly pumping wort into the kettle. Once the top of the grain bed is exposed again, I switch the pump back on and go through the process again. I have my pump connected to a foot switch, so it's pretty easy for me to get to the switch when I think there's enough water in the tun, and to start the pump again when more water's needed. I keep track of how much water is leaving the hot liquor tank each time so that I know about where I am in the sparge process.

Thanks. I like that approach. I'll give it a shot on next brew day.

Back