Anyone using one of these stainless baskets for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope but I thought about it. I just ordered a hop spider from arborfab.com and contemplated that same basket. I'm going to get a bag instead for now.

Those look like they would work excellent. I've been using a 36 quart "Bayou Classic" stock pot with a basket for my mini-BIAB (about 3 gallon batches). I find the 6 gallon kettle is a lot easier to work with especially when doing high gravity brews. After the mash I lift the basket out and put 2 rods under it to suspend it over the kettle while I heat it up and sparge with a 1/2 gallon of hot water. Since the basket has big holes it's still necessary to use a bag but there isn't much pressure on it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD93G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you have the money though the link you posted looks to be nicer! Especially if you already have a kettle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the idea of the basket, been working up ideas similar, but wow! $155 for the diameter I need? Not at this time.

(If the designers are lurking around here, there can't possibly be $155 in supplies or hours in that. Not sure home brewers are really up for paying 'shop' hourly rates.)

Most of the basket stuff at utahbiodiesel can be had for less when buying direct from the fabricator, arborfab.com, owned by Chad.

Love the idea of the basket, been working up ideas similar, but wow! $155 for the diameter I need? Not at this time.

(If the designers are lurking around here, there can't possibly be $155 in supplies or hours in that. Not sure home brewers are really up for paying 'shop' hourly rates.)

Have you priced stainless recently? It's not cheap. Plus there is a lot of labor to cut, bend, form and weld. But they are a fabrication shop, so there is some economy in volume.

I'm making my own version of this (11.5" dia, 15" tall), but with solid sides so I can sparge more effectively with it. The sides are .030 stainless sheet, and bottom is ~450 mesh. These 2 items are about $35, but I had to buy an oversize SS sheet to get the 36" width needed. It will make 2 this size, with a little left over, at $56 for the whole sheet. I could have used a smaller sheet, and made extra seams, but wanted to avoid that effort. I'll find a use for the rest of it.
I'm going to fold the top and bottom edges for added rigidity, and solder the screen to the bottom. I had not planned on bottom support, but having seen these I may add that.

Most of the basket stuff at utahbiodiesel can be had for less when buying direct from the fabricator, arborfab.com, owned by Chad.

I did not know that. I just ordered from Chad, he is making a 6x12 hop spider for me. Solid guy. I bugged him on eBay then he pointed me to his site. $65 and I can control a bit more of my trub. :)

Back