Anyone using induction cooktop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cato1507

Reaction score
I'd like to move my BIAB from the gas range in the kitchen into the garage when I'm brewing 5+ gallon batches.

Been looking at 3500w induction cooktop as I already have the circuit there for my table saw. Plus I could mount a pulley to drain the bag.

It would be a lot less than having to invest in kettle, coil, controller set up.

I also have the 3500w Avanco(around 200$). I have a Spike (love it) 15 gal kettle and I wrap 2 layers of reflectex insulation and do 11 gal batches with 10 going into fermenters. I can do up to a 1.060 with BIAB, but switch to a mashtun in a bag for bigger beers or when decoction mashing.

Pulled the trigger on the Avantco 3500w induction cooktop and ordered the ratchet pulley assembly from Brewinabag.
I think those along with the new grain mill will be a big help to my BIAB.

Been thinking about this induction burner for a while. How long is it approximately taking to go strike temp and then to boil?

I've used an 1800W Duxtop burner for 3 gal batches (in a 6 gal pot). It's enough to get a rolling boil, which is all I need.

Been thinking about this induction burner for a while. How long is it approximately taking to go strike temp and then to boil?

With 3500W IB I heat strike water in about 20 minutes to 170 F while I grind grains. I heat wort from mash temp to boil in maybe another 20 minutes. I use 1500 W IB to heat sparge water while mashing in about 30-40 minutes.

Ran a trial yesterday with the 3500w Avantco. 4 gal of water in my 7.5 gal Anvil kettle. 24 min to 158F from 64F tap water. From 152 to 212 took 16min.
I'll need to buy or make up an extension whip so I can move the burner around on the workbench.
Very pleased with the performance and not having all that extra heat that I get from the gas range.

Attachments

• 20181204_114515.jpg
    20181204_114515.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 114
Mounted the ratcheting pulley yesterday. So while not everything is perfected for my streamlined workflow for brewing in the garage, I've got enough done for a first small batch brew day.

My last things to do are finish a small platform that's even height with the induction burner to slide a full kettle onto so I can hoist the grain to drain.

Got my plugs in to build an extension cord for the IB.

Lastly just add a garden hose fitting to my IC drain hose so it'll drain in place on the workbench and out the garage door.

Oh and will get a small tarp to put on workbench when brewing to collect sticky wort splash or drops.

Update- finished platform this afternoon and essentially ready to brew. Got a small tarp and will hold off for now on making up an extension cord, also considering it's winter I won't need the immersion chiller for awhile.

Attachments

• 20181208_135612.jpg
    20181208_135612.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20181209_152839.jpg
    20181209_152839.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
First garage brew day yesterday. All in all it went well. My only hiccup was that I had to boil off an extra 1/2 gal of wort.
Induction burner did great and super pleased with "no lift brewing"! Mash, slide kettle on platform under pulley, drain grains with no sparge, slide back onto burner for boil, pump wort into fermenter, close fridge door and set inkbird!20181211_122551.jpg 20181211_142653.jpg

I ran my first brew with my Avantco IC3500 a few weeks ago - just bottled this week. Really happy with how everything turned out, really quick to bring to temps and then to boil, also very easy to adjust the boil level.
The only thing is that I got a new kettle to go with it, so I have to recalibrate my numbers and boiloff rate. Ended up with a half-gallon or so less than usual. oh, well, easy fix there.
I also have to figure something out about the moisture in the air. I brew in my basement. I am next to the hot water heater, that has a heat pump built in, so that will help to get rid of some. I'll likely line the overhead insulation with thick plastic wrap, and reorganize to get to a small window there. I'll ideally put an exhaust fan there, but we'll see what happens in winter. Also, I have a wooden table I brew on, I'm planning on getting something to put on it, maybe a sheet of thin metal diamond-plate from the local big-box hardware store. Will protect the wood and look cool.

I ran my first brew with my Avantco IC3500 a few weeks ago - just bottled this week. Really happy with how everything turned out, really quick to bring to temps and then to boil, also very easy to adjust the boil level.
The only thing is that I got a new kettle to go with it, so I have to recalibrate my numbers and boiloff rate. Ended up with a half-gallon or so less than usual. oh, well, easy fix there.
I also have to figure something out about the moisture in the air. I brew in my basement. I am next to the hot water heater, that has a heat pump built in, so that will help to get rid of some. I'll likely line the overhead insulation with thick plastic wrap, and reorganize to get to a small window there. I'll ideally put an exhaust fan there, but we'll see what happens in winter. Also, I have a wooden table I brew on, I'm planning on getting something to put on it, maybe a sheet of thin metal diamond-plate from the local big-box hardware store. Will protect the wood and look cool.
I had the same concern about the moisture in the garage as I have my table saw and jointer that have cast iron surfaces. Fortunately I have a large ceiling mounted woodshop air cleaner, with a powerful 3 speed fan.
Turning on the fan and cracking open the garage door a couple inches during the boil seemed to solve the issue. Ten foot ceiling in garage a bonus as well.
I spread a 8x10 ft blue tarp on my workbenches adjacent tables to protect them from moisture and any stray wort drops.

Back