Anyone used Mangrove Jacks M27 Belgian Saison yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
Thinking of giving it a go this weekend, but I don't want to take a punt if its not good. With it being pretty new on the market I can't seem to find much info about it apart from the manufacturers spiel.
Anyone had experience with it?

Wish I could help you. I did use the Danstar Belle saison yeast in the past couple weeks and was quite happy with my fermentation at 85°F, but not so happy with it at 75°F.

I've seen it suggested that M27 and Belle Saison are pretty much the same strain. What did you like/not like about the higher and lower temps? Did it give up a bit early at 75?

I've seen it suggested that M27 and Belle Saison are pretty much the same strain. What did you like/not like about the higher and lower temps? Did it give up a bit early at 75?

No, they both came within a point of each other. The hotter ferment just seemed to have more esters. Slightly more peppery and spicy. The cooler ferment just lacked that pop/spice.

No, they both came within a point of each other. The hotter ferment just seemed to have more esters. Slightly more peppery and spicy. The cooler ferment just lacked that pop/spice.

That is true with most if not all Saison yeasts isn't it? Or are some more peppery/estery at a lower temp?

That is true with most if not all Saison yeasts isn't it? Or are some more peppery/estery at a lower temp?

To be honest, I don't know as it is not a style I normally brew. It was actually my first saison, but it came out well, so it won't be my last.

I went to a tasting once where they had brewed the same wort 8 times just pitched different yeast.

The starter wort was a hefeweizen.

The M27 was one of the yeasts used for one of the beers and I was extremely surprised at how it converted a beer that should have banana and clove flavors, to a fruity, spicy wonderful mouthful.

After that tasting I was pretty well sold on the new mangrove jacks yeasts. Hope that helps and all the best with your brew.

I have used it in a 5.5 gallon Belgian Saison that is sitting at 10% ABV. June 21st;

Used 9 lbs liquid Munich Extract + 2 lbs DME + 1 lb Dark Belgian Candi Rock Sugar. Pitched White Labs Liquid WLP-560 Saison Blend and M27 yeasts at 82F. OG was 1.088. Blow off hose chugged hard for 6 days. 6/28/14 was down to 1.015 for 9.563% ABV and then on July 4th was down to 1.012 for a whopping 9.953% ABV at which point the yeast killed themselves with the ample alcohol they produced.

Am going to do the exact same recipe this weekend yet pitch Champagne yeast when the chugging slows and then again when it's at 10%. Should be interesting. Brew name is : Danger, Will Robinson! : Drink at your own risk.

Thinking of giving it a go this weekend, but I don't want to take a punt if its not good. With it being pretty new on the market I can't seem to find much info about it apart from the manufacturers spiel.

Hey man Beerking here in the West of Ireland. Just made a Belgian Saison using M27 and I am drinking after pitching yeast 3-4 weeks later (kegged). Very strong yeast that ate everything.
Fermented in the high range 26-30 Celcius. Very clear beer with pepper notes.

Hey man Beerking here in the West of Ireland. Just made a Belgian Saison using M27 and I am drinking after pitching yeast 3-4 weeks later (kegged). Very strong yeast that ate everything.
Fermented in the high range 26-30 Celcius. Very clear beer with pepper notes.

Good yeast isn't it. I've actually used it a few times now and plan to use it a few times this summer when/if it gets a bit warm for normal brewing.

Made a citra saison/IPA where the temp got a bit out of hand very quick, but it was quite forgiving.

The best was a simple low gravity saison late hopped and dry hopped with lubelski and styryians. Gradually ramped the temperature up. Very citrusy, a little bit peppery, tart with an almost orval type quality to it which I didnt expect.

Like you said, it eats everything. I think both those beer finished at about 1.002.

Very authentic saison yeast and definitely the best dry Belgian strain I have used. Not sure I'd use it for any other Belgian styles though. Maybe a few experimental mash ups.

I have used it quite a bit. I now make a Saison as one of my staple recipes. A couple of months ago I made an English Barleywine (SG 1.093/FG 1.010) and a Belgian IPA (SG 1.077/FG 1.004). They both came out great and I had the fermenters sitting on the shaded back porch. Ambient temps were 79F-88F the whole time. So a real hassle free way of brewing. I can't do that now as it is 93F+ in the afternoons. But for 9 months of year it really works well. Do you rehydrate or use a starter? I generally rehydrate in 100ml of pre-boiled and cooled down tap water. Then add the yeast at 84F plus a tsp of Fermex. In 15 minutes it's ready to pitch.

I have used it quite a bit. I now make a Saison as one of my staple recipes. A couple of months ago I made an English Barleywine (SG 1.093/FG 1.010) and a Belgian IPA (SG 1.077/FG 1.004). They both came out great and I had the fermenters sitting on the shaded back porch. Ambient temps were 79F-88F the whole time. So a real hassle free way of brewing. I can't do that now as it is 93F+ in the afternoons. But for 9 months of year it really works well. Do you rehydrate or use a starter? I generally rehydrate in 100ml of pre-boiled and cooled down tap water. Then add the yeast at 84F plus a tsp of Fermex. In 15 minutes it's ready to pitch.
I never rehydrate with this yeast or any other. Just aerate well and sprinkle in. Never have any issues with lag, and quite often I have pretty active fermentation within a couple of hours. The few times I have rehydrated I have noticed no difference whatsoever.

Obviously everyone has their preferred methods but I have always found rehydrating totally unnecesarry.

Hi Davrosh - I just tapped the keg of Saison I made with M27. Fermented 26-30 Celcius and turned out fantastic. Nice pepper notes and yeast ate everything and cleared very quickly.

Saison.JPG
Saison beer Recipe (21l)

10 lbs german bohemian pilsner malt
1 oz french hops (60 min)
1 oz french hops (10 Min)
2 tsp irish moss (10 min)
mangrove jacks Belgian ale yeast m27 (ferment 26-30 high temp yeast strain)
og 1.070 fg 1.010
water
use low alkalinity bottled water for strike water and sparge water
15L strike /15l sparge
Mash
grind grains to desired consistency. Mash in at 131.5F for 30 minute protein rest at 122F. heat to 152F for over 30 minutes. mash out to temp 168f for 10 minutes. dump into mash tun cooler and heat more water temp to 168F and add to mash tun.
mash water temp 131.5F (15L)
vorlauf (20 Min)
sparge (30 min)
sparge water 168 F degree (168 f/15L, 30 min rest)
Bring wort in kettle to boil temp and add first additions of hops. Boil for 60 minutes add additional hops, and irish moss at the last of the boil. Cool using wort chiller. transfer to fermentor and ferment for 1-2 weeks in warm temp 26-30 degrees. You can add lemon or orange zest to batch if desired (at last of boil). Always test sample with hydrometer before fermenting and after fermentation to make sure you are in the ball park with figures.Transfer and prime keg for 2 weeks. chill then serve and top up with nitrogen.
Rule of thumb: cleanliness is next to godliness when making homemade beer!!

Hi Davrosh - I just tapped the keg of Saison I made with M27. Fermented 26-30 Celcius and turned out fantastic. Nice pepper notes and yeast ate everything and cleared very quickly.

View attachment 270789
Saison beer Recipe (21l)

10 lbs german bohemian pilsner malt
1 oz french hops (60 min)
1 oz french hops (10 Min)
2 tsp irish moss (10 min)
mangrove jacks Belgian ale yeast m27 (ferment 26-30 high temp yeast strain)
og 1.070 fg 1.010
water
use low alkalinity bottled water for strike water and sparge water
15L strike /15l sparge
Mash
grind grains to desired consistency. Mash in at 131.5F for 30 minute protein rest at 122F. heat to 152F for over 30 minutes. mash out to temp 168f for 10 minutes. dump into mash tun cooler and heat more water temp to 168F and add to mash tun.
mash water temp 131.5F (15L)
vorlauf (20 Min)
sparge (30 min)
sparge water 168 F degree (168 f/15L, 30 min rest)
Bring wort in kettle to boil temp and add first additions of hops. Boil for 60 minutes add additional hops, and irish moss at the last of the boil. Cool using wort chiller. transfer to fermentor and ferment for 1-2 weeks in warm temp 26-30 degrees. You can add lemon or orange zest to batch if desired (at last of boil). Always test sample with hydrometer before fermenting and after fermentation to make sure you are in the ball park with figures.Transfer and prime keg for 2 weeks. chill then serve and top up with nitrogen.
Rule of thumb: cleanliness is next to godliness when making homemade beer!!

When you say top up with nitrogen.....what do you mean?

Back