• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Anyone use label peelers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't know where to post this, but does anyone here use label peelers? I'm thinking about buying an extract kit from them.. It's about $5-$10 cheaper than most places I've found.. Or has anyone used them before?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They've been used plenty and are a trustworthy company to purchase from.

They've been used plenty and are a trustworthy company to purchase from.

Okay Awsome, now I just got to see how much the shipping is real quick. Thinking about getting the cream ale for $25.. Can't beat that price!

Dang.. $12 for shipping! That's ridiculous..

I like morebeers free shipping on $59 orders. Grab a couple kits and some odds and ends. Fast shipping too. Great when they have a kit on their daily deal for $6 off

Yeah northern brew is like $37 with shipping and labor peelers is $38 with shipping.. So I'm looking at almost $40 regardless -.- I may just stick with my local brew store. They have a brewers best Weizenbier I would like to try.. Has IBU of 6-10 which I think I would enjoy that.. Has any tried it

Yeah northern brew is like $37 with shipping and labor peelers is $38 with shipping.. So I'm looking at almost $40 regardless -.- I may just stick with my local brew store. They have a brewers best Weizenbier I would like to try.. Has IBU of 6-10 which I think I would enjoy that.. Has any tried it

Why not work w/ your LHBS to build your own kit? I'll bet they'll have some good recipes you can use plus you'll be sure the ingredients are fresh

If you have a LHBS that you frequent I would go there. You might save a few shingling online but supporting the local businesses to me are more important.

Yeah I've thought about doing that actually.. Getting like a cream ale extract kit recipe and telling him if he could help me did the ingredients, but I don't want to get all excited to make that and then him not have those ingredients.. But I could just ask him if he could help me make or find a recipe for a light low IBU beer with the ingredients he does have..

Would it be cheaper to do it that way rather than buying a kit for $35?

If you have a LHBS that you frequent I would go there. You might save a few shingling online but supporting the local businesses to me are more important.

Yeah I've n we bought anything online. But I'm going to make a wheat beer next, very simple 6.6 LME and 1.5 oz of German H something hops. And yeast of course. Well for all those it's $38 plus tax, the kit is $35.. Actually spending more buying individually.. Freaking LME is expensive -.- like $15 for 3.3 Lb...

Okay so instead of using 6.6 pounds of the LME could I buy 5 lbs of light DME instead of LME? LME is to expensive..

It would be about $26 instead of $38 if I use DME instead of LME.. Now would it be good still?

Okay am I correct? All LME and DME is sugar for the beer? LME is liquid form and DME is powder form? I know that's what they are liquid malt extract and dry malt extract. BUT when it says to use LME can I switch it out and use DME without it changing the taste..?

Bought 3 55# sacks from them a while back for $35 to 37. Picked it up place is nice, guys are cool, and if they keep selling it for that price I'll keep buying. Still.waiting. Ha

It's a good crew. If you can do local pickup you can snag a 55# bag of MO at less than <$1/pound.

Great place for bulk buys since they pick up direct from LD Carlson down the road. Small quantities are decently priced. They won't have anything LD Carlson doesn't carry - brands like Weyermann, etc.

Where is their local pick up :S I saw local pick up shipping..

Ohio.. Haha I live in Arkansas.. That's a bit of a drive, I think $11 shipping would be best lmao!

Great place and super helpful employees. Glad I only work about 30 seconds from them!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I don't have money to upgrade /: not that kind of money anyways haha

Well I'm excited.. If I would have known I could use DME instead of LME I would have! Because 3.3 lbs of LME is like $15 so $30 for two for the 6.6lbs.. And it's like $11 for 3lb of DME so get 2 things for $22 and only use 5lbs.. Sweet ;)

Yeah it's just my home brew store isn't the biggest! So they are limited on kits.. But since I found out I can use DME instead of LME I would definitely be buying the hops, special grains, DME, etc (; instead of a whole kit! Probably going to try a cream ale and look up the recipe and hope my brew store has the right stuff :)

Are these fairly common at brew stores? Gambrinus Honey Malt, Belgian Biscuit specialty grains

Yeah all the websites I know has the recipes.. Those special grains are in the cream ale kit.

When ordering from most companies, the shipping for 1 kit (or 1 item) is always high, but when you add another kit or 2 or other supplies the total shipping becomes more reasonable per item.

I agree that aside from support, buying local has lots of other benefits. Depending how local your local LHBS is and realizing you will pay tax on most items, it may cost the same or a bit more vs. mail order, but it can be very convenient, gives you someone to talk to, ask questions, and build an overall good supplier/customer relationship. Many LHBS' are still growing themselves, and want to build those relationships with their customers and expand.

Although I buy most of my equipment online, HBT classifieds, or Craigslist, and buy sacks of grain through group buys, I still buy lots of specialty grains, all my yeast, sundries, adjuncts, and what not from my LHBS.

Label Peelers is great. I buy a lot of my bulk hops from them. $16 bucks a pound sure beats $3.50 an ounce locally. I am not sure why these threads always devolve into people encouraging the OP to buy from his LHBS. It's really not what he was asking and there is no need to post the same thought multiple times.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are these fairly common at brew stores? Gambrinus Honey Malt, Belgian Biscuit specialty grains

Yes - most any LHBS is going to carry Honey Malt and Biscuit Malt. Don't get too hung up in the maltster that they might come from (At least not at this stage of the game).

If your LHBS can't put together the makings for a cream ale, or some other basic style, I question if they're really a HBS.

Well their not a FULL ON home brew store, half is for brew and wine and the other half is half of planting and grow stuff

Label Peelers are great to deal with and offer a lot of deals. I pulled the trigger when they offered a 25% off of your entire order and ordered about 100#'s of grain. Ended up paying like $.76 a pound for 2 row in the 50# sack.

I don't have money to upgrade /: not that kind of money anyways haha

It cost about $20 for a 10 gallon tamale pot and $3 for a paint strainer bag. If you have a gas stove, that is all you need to BIAB all-grain.

I'm not trying to push you that way. It just sounded like you might not be aware of that option.

Label Peelers are great to deal with and offer a lot of deals. I pulled the trigger when they offered a 25% off of your entire order and ordered about 100#'s of grain. Ended up paying like $.76 a pound for 2 row in the 50# sack.

What I paid for mine, when they had a nice deal:

1 x Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb (1866C) $40.49
1 x Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb (1928C) $37.75
1 x Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb (1850C) $37.49

They keep these prices up they will be out of biz ha... hoping they have another sale in the next month or so, need more grain ha...

I am not sure why these threads always devolve into people encouraging the OP to buy from his LHBS. It's really not what he was asking and there is no need to post the same thought multiple times.

Especially when half the LHBSs out there are awful. My nearest is 50 miles away but it is dark, dusty and nothing is marked in there. When you get up to the register, it is at least 20% higher than it should be. I wouldn't shop there if it was next door.

If I head 65 miles the opposite way, there is a LHBS that knows how to run a business. It's just too damn far!

Especially when half the LHBSs out there are awful. My nearest is 50 miles away but it is dark, dusty and nothing is marked in there. When you get up to the register, it is at least 20% higher than it should be. I wouldn't shop there if it was next door.

If I head 65 miles the opposite way, there is a LHBS that knows how to run a business. It's just too damn far!

Wow that sucks... we have 2 good shops within 10 mins from me, Label peelers is a drive but I head that way a lot and at least 2-3 other stores within 30 to 45 mins. I know exactly how much each charges for what and just shop when in the area for those cheaper things. If I reuse yeast I can get away with $11-20 for 5 gallons, depending on style. Guess we live in a pretty sweet area for home brewers.

Latest posts

Back