Anyone use ginger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I was cooking dinner tonight with a piece of fresh ginger root which I hadn't used before to be completely honest.....then it kind of dawned on me as I took some small tastes of it.

Would this taste fantastic in a Wit Beer or maybe even a Saison? Heck with the citrus aroma it may even be good in a pale or or IPA? I tried to think hard and remembered trying a Wit Beer by Monday Night Brewing Co. and recall it being very refreshing and unique.

Anyone ever brew with ginger and have good results or know a good recipe? How is it typically used, in the boil, fermentor, how is it prepared, how much? It has a very refreshing citrus smell and spicy favor that seems it might go great with lemon?

I used to do a ginger wit. People really seemed to like that one. I used a micro plane zester to grate about an inch of fresh ginger, and tossed it in at flameout.

Fresh Ginger - 5 gallon batches i've used 1oz of ginger root @ 60min and another batch @ 15min.

Prefer the 15min addition

Probably could have added another 1oz or added it at flameout.

Keep in mind, Ginger Root is really strong, and can really screw up a brew if too much is used.

I do a way over the top ginger ale every Summer.
10# Pale Ale
.5# CaraPils
1# Honey

1oz. Cascade pellets (60 min)
1oz Willamette pellets (10 min)

48oz Fresh Ginger Root (grated)@60,@10
3 Lemons (juice,zest)@10
1 Wirlflock tablet@10

OG 1.052
FG 1.003 ABV 6.5%
Every one loves it. Of course, it's way over carbed.

I used to do a ginger wit. People really seemed to like that one. I used a micro plane zester to grate about an inch of fresh ginger, and tossed it in at flameout.

Have a recipe for that still?

I do a way over the top ginger ale every Summer.
10# Pale Ale
.5# CaraPils
1# Honey

1oz. Cascade pellets (60 min)
1oz Willamette pellets (10 min)

48oz Fresh Ginger Root (grated)@60,@10
3 Lemons (juice,zest)@10
1 Wirlflock tablet@10

OG 1.052
FG 1.003 ABV 6.5%
Every one loves it. Of course, it's way over carbed.

Would this be pretty much the same substituting pilsner malt?

The brew I've had that I was referencing was this: They make replicating fairly easy it seems by including all of their ingredients.

http://mondaynightbrewing.com/beers/fu-manbrew/

I did a Ginger Bière de Garde a few years ago that turned out quite nice. I used 12 oz. crystalized ginger, added to the boil with 15 mins remaining. There was definitely ginger in the beer, but not so much to overpower it. If I'd used straight ginger root, I'm thinking 8 oz would have had the same effect.

I'm doing a ginger saison this weekend. I've done hard ginger beer in the past too (basically pale ales with a lot of ginger near end of boil). The one I'm doing this weekend and it looks something like this:

GINGER SAISON (4 gal)
75% Maris Otter
10% Wheat
5% Munich 10L
Warrior @ 60. 23 IBU
0.75 oz ginger @ 10

I'm just going for a subtle but noticeable amount of ginger. I posted recently in this thread about amounts of ginger:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=124015

I was cooking dinner tonight with a piece of fresh ginger root which I hadn't used before to be completely honest.....then it kind of dawned on me as I took some small tastes of it.

Would this taste fantastic in a Wit Beer or maybe even a Saison? Heck with the citrus aroma it may even be good in a pale or or IPA? I tried to think hard and remembered trying a Wit Beer by Monday Night Brewing Co. and recall it being very refreshing and unique.

Anyone ever brew with ginger and have good results or know a good recipe? How is it typically used, in the boil, fermentor, how is it prepared, how much? It has a very refreshing citrus smell and spicy favor that seems it might go great with lemon?

I did a holiday amber one year that had ginger (and cinnamon, honey malt, and a touch of Special B, too) that came out fantastic. Used some more piney/resiny hops, which complemented it all really well. If I'm remembering correctly, I used 2oz (I think) with 5mins left in the boil, and while I knew it was there in the finish, you might not have been able to pick it out if you didn't know it was there. Happy to share the recipe if you're interested!

Added 1 lb of diced boiled ginger to1 gal of apple cider during secondary fermentation. Sat for two weeks. STRONG ginger flavor. Back sweetened with apple juice concentrate and bottled. I liked it but probably not enjoyed by the masses.

I made a lemon ginger braggot last summer that is JUST NOW
becoming a good brew. It is basically half hefeweizen with 10oz. of ginger at 15 min. boil, and 7# of honey & 2 Tbsp lemon peel at flameout.
Honestly, I think it could use more ginger AND Sorachi Ace dry hopped in the secondary to give it more of those flavors.

Back