Anyone use a bottle cap on an EZ-cap (swing top) bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I bought a whack of EZ-cap bottles cheap without the bates and caps a while back. Though I'd pick up swing bales separately when needed.

These bottles (same as in the link below) have a lip around the head of the bottle that looks like it might accept a bottle cap. Since I've never capped a bottle, and don't have the equipment, I was just wondering if the bottles are designed to go both ways (swing cap and regular cap).
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/case-of-12-16-oz-ez-cap-beer-bottles-amber.html

Thanks

I bought two boxes of similar ones from my lhbs and they told me that I those bottles work both ways. I have only used the swing top for them. I hope what they said is correct.

kewl. Guess all I need now is a good capper and I can bottle an extra 60 bottles or so. Thing is, I started buying swing tops at by local beer store by just buying hacker-Pschor in a swing top. It's 4 bucks at the LHBS, but three with beer in it at the beer store. So of course, I developed a taste for wheat beer. Then when I bought the EZ caps (60 cents each), I assumed they'd be better, but they never were and often had difficulty getting them to keep a seal. Well, not often, but 5 out of 40 beers would be flat (just drained one down the sink). Hopefully just capping them will solve that problem while simultaneously allowing me to use the dozens of bottles I never got caps for.

As a follow up in case anyone read this, I visited a shop that sold the bottles and the capper. the owner definitively told me it would not work that MAYBE the European style caps (which he doesn't sell) might work, but the standard caps won't fit the ridge on the EZ cap bottles.

Back