Anyone tried Fresh Wort Kits ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
I'm tired of beer extract . it really doesn't taste good and it has that Homebrew Twang . for some reason i just heard recently about FWK or Fresh Wort Kits . i wonder if anyone try that and confirm this is better then extract and doesn't have that Homebrew Twang ?

here just one of many providers
Fresh Wort Kits

I havent but this is pretty smart imo. You don't have to have an alcohol license to sell because your just supplying the wort. The customer has to add yeast and ferment .

I've never understood how some people describe fresh beer as having that 'Homebrew Twang', and just put it down to those folk simply having palates that actually enjoy things like coors or bud. I have tried beer made from those kits, and while it's still not as fresh, crisp and nuanced as a well-made AG, it is pretty much identical to mundane to OK extract; It still tastes 'fresh' and 'clean' (and in my opinion - infinatlely better than most of the dreck commercially available) If you do extract homebrew and just want something 'better', try BIAB or at least a good amount of steeping grains.

My initial concern would be over the conditions it was packaged under and what the total time before yeast pitch would be. That’s a sugar rich environment, all it takes is something wild to get in and you’ve got an infection. This gets worse the longer you go before pitching yeast.

What is this "Homebrew twang" I have brewed all extract brewing, extract with specialty grains & fresh hops brewing, and all-grain brewing and never noticed this twang you mention. I can say if I do the extract just add yeast style its much flatter or sweeter than any other method I've found. As far as fresh wort kits make me worry about how not only is it packed and preserved prior to shipping, but also what happens if it's delayed. I will say These FWK's are similar to what Narragansett brewery did during prohibition. While they turn to pops and colas for their long-term sales. They sold wort by the gallon to the common folk where all the person needed to do was add yeast and after a few weeks beer.

I'm tired of beer extract . it really doesn't taste good and it has that Homebrew Twang . for some reason i just heard recently about FWK or Fresh Wort Kits . i wonder if anyone try that and confirm this is better then extract and doesn't have that Homebrew Twang ?

Fresh Wort Kits
Have you considered that the "homebrew twang" that you want to avoid could be from something other than the malt extract? Only a few mention that in their beers and some manage to win competitions with malt extract.

I'm wondering now.... When you say "beer extract" are you referring to LME or DME, or to 'pre-hopped' kits like Coopers and such? Those 'pre-hopped' things make the only beers I'd ever consider to have any kind of 'twang' that some might find objectionable.

Fresh Wort Kits

It's basically a slightly concentrated pre-hopped wort that is aseptically bagged. While it's better than reconstituting highly concentrated LME or DME extracts, it's approaching the threshold of not really brewing. Do you have an aversion to making your own wort?

It's basically a slightly concentrated pre-hopped wort that is aseptically bagged. While it's better than reconstituting highly concentrated LME or DME extracts, it's approaching the threshold of not really brewing. Do you have an aversion to making your own wort?
Thanks for the info . i really don't have time to do all the work myself really . my goal is to drink a decent beer since alcohol is illegal where i live so I'm not into this as a hobby .
I just want drink a beer

Back