anyone that uses austin homebrew see this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be adding a 1 pound option to the website so you can order the number of pounds you need.

Forrest

I get a 75% discount on FedEx and only ship around 100 packages a month

Thanks for reading the entire thread. Forrest already said he get a 25% discount on shipping. Even if he did get a 75% discount he would probably still lose money on shipping.

I have to say that I do not do a lot of my homebrew supply ordering online. With the cost of shipping as low as AHB seems to have it, it would probably save me some money over the cost of gas for a 30 mile drive. Generally speaking, I just like to support my local business, which matters to me, even though I know I might be paying a little more. That's OK. Sometimes I'll buy some things online if I see that there's a really good deal (I get emails from Monster Brew all the time, and every once in a while there's a really good sale there).

All that said, after reading through this thread, I want to give props to Forrest and AHB. I used to manage a UPS store. I know how expensive it is to ship. Especially bulky, heavy items. It can be mind-blowing how expensive it becomes. It's pretty clear to me that he's losing money on shipping. To stay competitive, he simply eats that cost, hoping to "make it up" only through volume, rather than by raising unit prices. That's a gutsy business strategy, and one which ultimately benefits his customers more than him. Good on him for doing that. Moreover, I want to applaud his activity here on these forums, and in this thread in particular. It is RARE that you will see a business owner take the time to explain things to the customer base, and interact like he does. As a consumer, that means a lot to me. That is a great beginning of customer service. When I order something from him, assuming I have a good experience, that just increases my feeling regarding the service there.

So cheers to Forrest and AHB!

Much respect for Forrest and AHS. Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind paying $15 for shipping. It's worth it for the quality, service, and attention to detail that Forrest and the gang put into every order that makes it worth it to me no matter what they charge. Yea, lots of times I can find the same products on eBay for a bit cheaper, but I want AHS to stick around. My money will go to them 10 out of 10 times I order stuff online. Most, if not all, is still cheaper than the LHBS, even if I had to pay full shipping.

Instead of bitching, you guys should be thanking them for doing free shipping ever, and for their service, and that they didnt raise it more.

Thanks Forrest, you guys have my business no matter what y'all do with shipping, or anything else

Instead of bitching, you guys should be thanking them for doing free shipping ever, and for their service, and that they didnt raise it more.

People would still ***** if Forrest drove to their house, delivered the package in person and gave them a massage for free.

I don't blame them. I don't know about you but I work and am in business to make money. The cost of shipping carriers keeps going up.

I do both. I buy from my LHBS and online. To tell you the truth online is easier because I don't have to drive a half hour plus to get there. The gas isn't free either. Especially the types of vehicles I drive. I don't always think far enough ahead to buy online though.

Wow, what an epic thread! Crying, whining, name calling, mudslinging, and even the occasional kick in the b@ll$, this thread has it all :ban:

Really, with the cost of fuel and such, I can't believe places like AHS can even afford to keep flat rate shipping around, much less 'free' shipping. And what's more stunning is how hard it is for some people to realize when they're still getting a good deal. AHS and Midwest are like the WalMart and Target of HBS's and their prices seem to reflect that for the most part, not to mention the customer service far out does that of the small "LHBS" variety places I've been to. Just sayin', if you're dropping a bill + on homebrew supplies, WTF difference does the extra $5 make?
Seriously, go to the UPS store and see what you can ship for $4.99. Betcha it's not much more that what you have in your pockets. I recently shipped 4 bottles of brew to my dad along with a few books for my nephew for $13 something, woulda cost me ~$37 to have it at his doorstep as fast as AHS gets things shipped to it's customers.
Really, some people will just do anything to find an f'n cause. :rolleyes:

Now, that said, I live like 15 mins from Midwest and seldom need to order online. But with gas prices being what they are, and considering the god awful traffic in this city, my 5 bucks might be better spent on Forrest's new shipping structure. :D

Wow, what an epic thread! Crying, whining, name calling, mudslinging, and even the occasional kick in the b@ll$, this thread has it all :ban:

Really, with the cost of fuel and such, I can't believe places like AHS can even afford to keep flat rate shipping around, much less 'free' shipping. And what's more stunning is how hard it is for some people to realize when they're still getting a good deal. AHS and Midwest are like the WalMart and Target of HBS's and their prices seem to reflect that for the most part, not to mention the customer service far out does that of the small "LHBS" variety places I've been to. Just sayin', if you're dropping a bill + on homebrew supplies, WTF difference does the extra $5 make?
Seriously, go to the UPS store and see what you can ship for $4.99. Betcha it's not much more that what you have in your pockets. I recently shipped 4 bottles of brew to my dad along with a few books for my nephew for $13 something, woulda cost me ~$37 to have it at his doorstep as fast as AHS gets things shipped to it's customers.
Really, some people will just do anything to find an f'n cause. :rolleyes:

Now, that said, I live like 15 mins from Midwest and seldom need to order online. But with gas prices being what they are, and considering the god awful traffic in this city, my 5 bucks might be better spent on Forrest's new shipping structure. :D

Quit complaining ;)

jww9618 said:
Thanks for reading the entire thread. Forrest already said he get a 25% discount on shipping. Even if he did get a 75% discount he would probably still lose money on shipping.

Read the entire thread. If I'm not mistaken 75% is 3 times the diacount. Thanks for ASSuming though.

I was pretty upset at first when I first noticed the new shipping charges on their website. However, after reading the reason they needed to do this, I feel much better. It just would have been nice if they simply stated why they needed to change their shipping charges once they posted it on the website. Sometimes it just helps to explain exactly why you need to make certain changes. I definitely do not want AHS to go away as this is where I have been getting all of my beer ingredient kits and equipment for the past 8 months. I just purchased their Bayou Classic Outdoor Propane Burner and their own Lawnmower Ale. Looking to brew this tomorrow.

UPS and FedEx raise their prices yearly (I know UPS does) and in my small business, it eats me up. It's hard to be competitive in pricing AND ship for free. I don't get big discounts to ship but even the lightest, boxed package costs me almost $7.50 to ship. Heck, the UPS driver who comes to my office makes over $80 k a year and that ain't no BS. He's been with them for just under 10 years. He likes his union.

If I have too pay a whole $5 to have 50 pounds shipped to my house I would at least appreciate it if I wasn't always the ups drivers last stop of the day. I even tried bribing him with homebrew, didn't work.

AHS shipping prices are great! ! I just priced shipping a 24" x 24" x 20" box that weighs 10 lbs UPS ground and they want $33 . The bigger the box and they raise it to a heavier weight automatically. Really, I don't see how they are making a lot of money because they have to be eating a lot of the shipping charges.

If I have too pay a whole $5 to have 50 pounds shipped to my house I would at least appreciate it if I wasn't always the ups drivers last stop of the day. I even tried bribing him with homebrew, didn't work.

True that. I keep thinking especially in this heat wave we have been having.......My yeast! I get the cold pack, but by the time it gets to my door it's been heated up. I have an order from AHS being delivered today and I just keep thinking it's sitting in this hot truck inside a box that is probably about 90 degrees inside, just killing my yeast.

First, they do get discounts from UPS and depending on how much they ship each week, it can be substantial but, either way, it's hitting their pockets. UPS and FedEx are ridiculous.

The USPS isn't any better. It all depends on how big it is and where you are shipping it. Sometimes the USPS will be cheaper, sometimes UPS/FedEx will be cheaper. Either way, shipping is ridiculous. I remember a friend of mind shipping me about 10 bottles of Pliny bottles (600mL) to me on the East Coast from the West Coast. Shipping was $45, the same price as the beer! You just can't get a good deal on shipping.

Back