Anyone still milling grain with a hand crank???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I did this for a few of batches using a corona mill... until I finally took the mill with me to Home Depot and found a bolt that fits into where the hand crank fits into.

I just did a test run using a drill and I am loving all-grain brewing again! :D

Please, for the love of the Homebrew Gods, please go buy a $0.50 bolt and no longer waste your life hand cranking! :D

Last edited:
12 lbs of grains becomes a bit much, but I don’t mind the lesser amounts so much.

I also tried my old plug in hammer drill and it didn’t turn it either. So it’s the hand crank for me too.

I am still hand cranking to crush grains... I saw another version of a hand crank mill at my LBHS just this week. Wish I hand snapped a picture of it, because it was an old timey idea brought forward on a modern grain mill. It had a pretty good sized flywheel on the end with the hand crank. Once you get that type of mass turning it doesn't require as much energy input to keep it moving. I am thinking about how I could convert my own mill with an old cheap barbell weight ( ;

I milled by hand last nite. Thanx for the image! It should be fairly easy to set up a fly wheel with a handle and keep it simple.
Eric

My first 'mill' was a $5 blender, it worked well, but got quirky. It was over 40 years old. Then I bought a corona style and hand milled. That only became a hassle when doing bigger batches, 8-10 gallons. I bought a Millar's Mill and still hand grind. It's smooth and easy, and takes no more time than heating strike water. If my arm gets tired, I switch hands.

My Xmas grain mill is coming next Wednesday; I've still got over 30lbs of LHBS-milled two row so will practice with that. Once I've got it down pat might repurpose my dad's old corded drill to run it so I don't run down the battery in my cordless. I'm just super stoked that I now get to set my own crush for my mash-in-a-bag setup; LHBS mill is set too wide in my opinion.

I did this for a few of batches using a corona mill... until I finally took the mill with me to Home Depot and found a bolt that fits into where the hand crank fits into.

I just did a test run using a drill and I am loving all-grain brewing again! :D

Please, for the love of the Homebrew Gods, please go buy a $0.50 bolt and no longer waste your life hand cranking! :D
I use my ridgid cordless drill on the 1 setting.

I hand crank most of my batches. I figure it is good exercise and wears off some of the beer calories. However, my batches are 2 1/2 gallons and if I were doing 10 gallon batches I'm sure I would motorize the mill.

I've been using the crank for 20+ batches now... after my brew session today I'm thinking of making a trip to harbor freight tomorrow. Not sure I want to punish my cordless drill.

Worst part is that my arms haven't gotten any bigger :(

I seem to recall people saying cordless drills don’t have the necessary torque and it will burn them up.

I’ve read some people mill their grains twice to get a better efficiency. And some condition their grains and use a finer setting, which is what I do. If the settings aren’t set to a finer crush I suppose cranking isn’t so bad. My Monster Mill II is set to 0.035” (a bracket piece that came with it that I don’t use). An iTunes gift card (0.028”) is just too small of a setting as is just murder. 0.035” is enough of a workout with 10-12 lbs of grains. And that setting is too much for my corded hammer drill. And so that begs the question for those who use a drill, what is the gap set at?

I seem to recall people saying cordless drills don’t have the necessary torque and it will burn them up.

I’ve read some people mill their grains twice to get a better efficiency. And some condition their grains and use a finer setting, which is what I do. If the settings aren’t set to a finer crush I suppose cranking isn’t so bad. My Monster Mill II is set to 0.035” (a bracket piece that came with it that I don’t use). An iTunes gift card (0.028”) is just too small of a setting as is just murder. 0.035” is enough of a workout with 10-12 lbs of grains. And that setting is too much for my corded hammer drill. And so that begs the question for those who use a drill, what is the gap set at?
I use a Corona Mill so I let it fly with my cordless drill.

People still use hand held drills? lol

100_0450.JPG

$60 at the local harbor feight for a 1/2" low rpm...with a speed control lock on it!

I still hand crank most of my 5 gal batches. High gravity and 10 gal batches I'll bring over my drill.

I use an 18v Ryobi cordless drill to power my Barley Crusher. I set the gap to .026-.028” for wheat, .035-.036” for barley. With the drill on the low speed setting I have no problems.

One tip-start the mill empty, then start pouring grain in. My drill will start the mill with the hopper full but, if the mill is up to speed first, the drill barely slows down.

Maybe that was my issue. I tried with the hopper loaded up. I thought it bizarre that my hammer drill couldn’t get it going. Might just give it a try again!

Maybe that was my issue. I tried with the hopper loaded up. I thought it bizarre that my hammer drill couldn’t get it going. Might just give it a try again!
That does seem odd to me. Usually hammer drills have alot of torque. The M18 on low setting can start a full hopper at whatever speed you like. I prefer to mill as slowly as possible to avoid to much powder as I use a recirculating system and there more prone to a stuck mash/sparge. Cheers

I use a M18 Milwaukee cordless. I have a handle but never tried it. Cheers

I use an 18v Ryobi cordless drill to power my Barley Crusher. I set the gap to .026-.028” for wheat, .035-.036” for barley. With the drill on the low speed setting I have no problems.

On low speed the Milwaukee hammer drill has about 100 ft-lbs torque. The Ryobi has about 50 ft-lbs. Either will be sufficient to run the mill. On high speed the Milwaukee might still work but the Ryobi probably not.

My old 18v Ryobi with the latest generation batteries will runmy Valley mill at any setting. It will run on high but it's way too fast.

I dusted off the old Corona mill a while back just for nostalgia, boy was that thing a beast. Then I figured what the heck, may as well dig up the ole Zapap lauter tun. And while I'm at it, how about that porcelain lined pot? Before I knew it I had reached a level of pure Zen, focused purely on the art, and not the glitzy gear that all too often adorns the brewery. I seemed to be moved by a higher power as I effortlessly went through the ancient process of converting four simple ingredients into something truly beautiful. After a couple weeks it was time to package, but I could not force my self to bottle this brew. My warm fuzzy ends right about where bottle washing begins. So into the keg it went. And ya know what? That was probably the best bitter I've ever had, it was definitely the best I've ever brewed.

Another Corona style hand cranked. My batches are only 5.5 gallons or so. I usually use from 9 to 12 lbs of grain depending on what is being brewed.

It's simple, it works, and I have the will and time to do it manually. In fact, I think it helps me with patience issues.

I just threw my handle out Harbor freight drills are 18.99 and they always have a 20% off coupon at that price they are a disposable tool

I hand crank because I''m that guy that doesn't own a drill and I like to be big and strongk.

I wouldn't want to get the exercise it'd take to hand crank 21-22lbs of grain! i'd have to drink even more beer for the calories!

I just threw my handle out Harbor freight drills are 18.99 and they always have a 20% off coupon at that price they are a disposable tool

as someone else said in this forum "them chinese make good stuff"..lol

i use a 1/2 drill...I've heard that with the corona mills all you need is a "hook bolt"? not sure if that the right word but its just like an eye bolt but the eye is open. hooks into the loop on the crank and away you go
IMG_3462.JPG

on that one all you'd need to do, is if it has a lock...find a stick or something....speed controll and everything...

Back