Anyone into vintage snowmobiles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I have never considered myself as being into vintage stuff, however as I age I find the things I am into are now being considered vintage. One such interest is the snowmobiles of my youth.

My father and two uncles were dealers for Moto Ski, Polaris, and Ski Whiz snowmobiles back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, complete with a sponsored racing team. I grew up riding the machines that had been traded in and in need of more than just minor repairs. I learned how to repair and maintain these old machines as a boy. They were very simple machines and were great fun to ride. Back then I had Fox Track's, Ski Doo's, Bolens, Skiroule's, Artic Cat's, and others,as well as Moto Ski's, to ride.

Now, 40 years later, I find myself drawn back to these machines that I grew up on. A few years ago, I went looking for one of these old machines to ride, with my grandson, as he grew up. I ended up buying a 97 Polaris Indy 500. It's an old machine, that runs well, and is even considered vintage in some circles. However it is far from the machines I grew up on. Modern by comparison, even. I still wanted an old sled. I mentioned this to a couple of co workers and a customer the other day,and low and behold, the customer comes back with,"Oh yeah, I have an old Moto Ski taking up space in my garage that I'd like to get rid of.

Well, that sled is now mine. It's in really good shape, but missing some parts,and hasn't run in years. I hope to have it up and running for next season. Here is a photo of one like the one I just acquired. It is a 1968 Moto Ski Zephyr, with a 300cc Hirth single cylinder engine.

th

I'll post some photos after I get her home if there is any interest here.

What do you have? What is you vintage sled story?

Not as old as the Moto ski but considered a antique at 31 yrs old.
89 440 Arctic Cat Panther, elec start and reverse is nice.
Rode on those moto skis, sno jets (the blue ones) and evinrudes (the white ones) in the
60s and 70s.
My dad had either a johnson or john deere .
Fun to think back to those early sled days.

Can't seem to get a image loaded up here

Last edited:
I picked up the old Moto Ski this week and got her to fire on some fuel squirted into the carb. It won't pick up fuel from the tank and the carb needs a good cleaning and some new gaskets and diaphragms. Ordered them yesterday and they should be here on Tuesday. The track needs some attention as well, it turns and seems to roll around fine,but has some of the cleats that need reattaching.

Back