Anyone in Northern Virginia area have a jig for cutting top of keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usfmikeb

Reaction score
Have a need for cutting the tops off two old kegs that have been in my garage for many moons, turning one into a boil kettle and one into a mash tun. Anyone in the area got a jig that they'd be willing to share?

Awesome, hadn't seen that jig design before! That does look VERY simple, whereas some of the others seemed a bit more complicated. Not that they weren't doable, but I'm a big proponent of sharing hobby tools.

Thanks!

Never done it but if you need some help let me know I'm down the road in Ashburn... Would be good to learn for possible future upgrades when I get into AG or if you just wanna BS and swap some brews

I used string and it made a perfect circle.
The trick is not to let the disk go too deep into the keg. Just cut until the wheel is through the metal. If it goes deeper it has a tenancy to make a rough edge.
efqydx.jpg

i did something like this, except i only used a 2" section of pvc. slice it legnthwise down the middle so you have two halves that fit around the sanke neck. tape them together around the neck with some electrical tape so they dont fall off.

then notch out a section in each half so that your grinder handle fits thru it. this pretty much just acts as a pivot point for your grinder, which is all you need.

Back