Anyone here had any luck with a Coopers clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I carefully decanted the contents of 9 Coopers stubbies (375mL bottles) and poured the yeast sediment from each bottle into a big sanitized coke bottle along with 700mL of wort made with 70g of DME and 1g of yeast nutrient.

18 hours later and I don't see any signs of activity at all in the starter that is held at 23C (73.4F). It's my first time with liquid yeast. I don't have a stir plate but I have been swirling the bottle every few hours.

Also, the "best after" date on the bottles is February 2020. Maybe I got greedy and tried to pitch too much wort. I think I'll keep it going and post pics back here in a couple of days.

I want to get WLP009 which is apparently the same strain but I can't find any as it's a seasonal release. Anyone here had any luck with Coopers yeast? It's a hell of a lot effort for such a simple beer.

Last edited:
Lots of aus brewers used to the same, use the sediment of a 6 pack to make a starter and brew a coopers style ale. I don’t really see much talk of people doing that here these days though, probably due to the white labs yeast you’ve mentioned. As for recipes, of you google “coopers clone ahb” you’ll probably get a lot of hits.

I believe the bottling strain is different, but makes a very similar beer.

A good coopers pale on tap is great, though it can be inconsistent.

Back