Anyone have two brewing rigs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Just sitting here fantasizing about having two rigs. One Badass propane set up and one smaller electric BIAB rig for when the weather is bad.

Anyone have two rigs?

I do. One in Korea and one at home in the US. In Korea, I use a 3kw heat stick. In the US, I 'cook' on a rocket stove.

If by 'smaller electric BIAB set up' you mean 'stove', then sure, I've got two rigs. ;)

Got a 6 gallon brew pot and Bayou propane burner for the warmer weather (Currently 16 out, didn't go above 20 today. Brrr) Can do full wort boils for 5 gallon extract batches.

Also have an 1800 watt induction cooktop in my basement for brewing. However the size pot I have with it can only do 3.5 gallon boils, and can't really afford a bigger one right now. Still makes excellent beer in the winter months.

Also just finished making a cooler style 10 gallon mash tun for my first all grain attempt come spring.

Does this count :mug:

ForumRunner_20140108_225107.jpg

ForumRunner_20140108_225119.jpg

Yep, I have my old setup with 8.5 gallon SS turkey fryer pot & burner, 5 gallon Igloo round MLT, Corona style mill and bottling equipment.

Now using 10 gallon tri-clad kettle, a modified Bayou Classic burner 10 gallon Igloo round MLT, Barley crusher mill, Fermentation fridge, and a two tap keezer.

Probably should use the older setup for smaller beers, by I have the new setup dialed in , so the other stuff just collecting dust.

My youngest daughter is becoming somewhat of a beer connoisseur and may decide to start brewing after her post-grad work is done. If not, I'll probably put it on Craigs List some day.

Still working on building, but my plan is to set up an electric HLT for my propane setup to hold temperatures better. This was my original brew kettle and I plan to use it for indoor eBIAB during winter.

Brewing with electric now, but still have my SQ14 and a 10 gallon thick wall aluminum pot.

Keep thinking that I might want to brew outside in the summer, but never happens.

Did use it to fry a turkey this past Thanksgiving. :D

I kind of do. I have 2 burners (the crappy one with the 15-minute safety timer that came with my Turkey Fryer kit but gets the job done, and a Bayou Classic), 2 mash tuns (48-quart Coleman cooler for 5-gallon batches and a 70-quart Coleman Extreme for 10-gallon batches), and 2 chillers (my old copper-coil IC and my nicer DudaDiesel plate chiller), but only one boil kettle. Technically, I could boil one batch in my 7-gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot, but it doesn't have a valve, so I'd have to siphon out the cooled wort.

Honestly, the notion of brewing 2 batches simultaneously has crossed my mind, but the thought of how busy I'd be, and my fear that I'd miss something or be busy with one batch during a crucial moment with the other, has kept me from trying. The best I've done so far is 2 batches on the same equipment, and overlapping them to save time. That is, I'd be mashing batch #2 while boiling/chilling batch #1. Though I always brew alone, so if I had a second set of hands to help out, I might be tempted to get both rigs going and do 2 batches simultaneously.

Latest posts

Back