Anyone have one of those neighbors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavenly

Reaction score
You know the one that has absolutely no clue how annoying they are...even when you politely tell them? Note: It's summer, it's hot, I have no A/C. So we have to keep the windows open to keep cool.

So my next door neighbors dog will usually bark for about 30 seconds somewhere between 10pm and 6am. So every night while I'm enjoying my slumber my wife and I are rudely awakened by this beast with the loud bark. I usually have a hard time getting back to sleep, especially after I'm forcefully awakened. My nerves are heightened and the adrenaline is pumping. etc.

We're in city limits and this guy also has chickens. These buggers start going off every morning at about 6am. He's been saying for a year now that he's getting rid of them in a few weeks. :cross:

I'll continue. This guy owns 5 cars, a long pop up trailer, and "stuff". The "stuff" is in his garage and I would guess about half of his driveway. The pop up is also on his driveway. The cars are mostly on "my" curb. I never park on this curb because a car makes the view from my backyard look bad. It's a long story. But, he never parks his cars on his curb. :confused:

The last thing. He is building himself a nice little collection of junk and clutter in his backyard. Our view of the beautiful city is tainted by what looks like a full time day care with all of these toys scattered about, a redneck stilt setup for stinging lights, rotting trellis work, things thrown up on his trellis and roof, raw wood exposed, :mad: It's absolutely terrible.

I kindly spoke to him about these matters a few weeks ago. He seems to have forgotten our conversation. Anyone have a bag of dog**** I can light on fire?

My next door neighbor has 4 "abandoned" cars/ trucks in his driveway, one on the side of his house facing ours, and 3 in his backyard, with trees growing through them I might add. He also has a pretty good collection of junk taking up the rest of his backyard. You can't walk back there at all and it's all overgrown with blackberry bushes now. I spray what I can reach from the fence twice a summer to keep them from growing into my backyard. He also likes "working" on the junk cars in his driveway at odd hours of the night, and of course it's right outside our bedroom. And the one car that he does drive gets parked in front of OUR house. This guy is clueless.

end rant/

I'm pretty much that guy with barking dogs, roosters crowing at 4 AM and extra "stuff" around the place but I don't live in town so maybe less of an issue.

In my opinion I've seen worse from some of my neighbors. One dog came onto our place and bit my son. Several others have mauled & killed some of my livestock, some pretty gruesome sights. I shoot dogs on my place anymore. One neighbor habitually screamed obscenities at her teenage daughter till she finally came of age and moved out. A couple of others have exercised some pretty bad judgment regarding burning but no major fires...yet.

Thanks for the replies.

We actually tried to sell FSBO a couple months ago when the market was moving and a neighbor was listed. Had 3 couples come through, two of them went out on our "view" deck (which overlooks the crappy neighbors) and proceeded to ask questions for about 5 minutes regarding the dog barking, chickens, and mess. Short story short, no sale.

We're looking for acreage in our next place if we are even able to sell.

Good story here though. My other next door neighbors also had a barking dog. I listened to it for years without saying anything. When we bought the house it was actually listed in the disclosure statement. Finally asked politely about their dog barking after I missed the sales on my house. I haven't heard their dogs bark since then. They are actually good neighbors.

I've got kind of the opposite problem. My neighbors don't have AC so they leave the front door and windows open with two TV's going full blast at either end of the house. I can hear endless re runs of Seinfeld from our bedroom with all our doors and windows shut. They are better than the backyard brawlers that used to live there though. So there's that.

if you have zoning and codes have them enforced

if no codes or zoning before you buy next time check and buy where there are rules you like

where I live we have almost no zoning or codes but that is how us dirty neck hillybillies like it here :)

our taxes are insanely cheap

good luck

S_M

if you have zoning and codes have them enforced

if no codes or zoning before you buy next time check and buy where there are rules you like

where I live we have almost no zoning or codes but that is how us dirty neck hillybillies like it here :)

our taxes are insanely cheap

good luck

S_M

Lots of municipalities have been changing the rules to better accommodate green and organic living.

Our municipal code used to flat out prohibit having any livestock unless on 5 acres. Now with the urban agrigarian movement chickens, goats, and even a damned Llama is possible in city limits.

Lots of municipalities have been changing the rules to better accommodate green and organic living.

Our municipal code used to flat out prohibit having any livestock unless on 5 acres. Now with the urban agrigarian movement chickens, goats, and even a damned Llama is possible in city limits.

where I live we have had over the years lots of people move in and buy land build big dollar houses

them want to changes all the rules, codes and zoning to make it just like where they moved from

about 20 years ago we became a right farm township

all the best

S_M

New neighbor from Rhode Island. He's retired, Wife has a high paying job at the nearby college. Before I know they are even moving it he's cut down all the trees. They say they are going to put a few thousands into that old house and rent it out and build a new house next door to it and put in a pool. Probably doesn't want to have to clean leaves out of his future pool...

Anyway, the OTHER neighbor lives in dumpy trailer with a few kids and a pit bull. The new neighbor tells me he went over there to tell the guy to keep his dog out of their yard or he should pick up their dog's poop. And the trailer guy says nope. Then trailer guy later blames his dog's depression on the fact that the new neighbor cut down all the trees and bushes and ruined his dog's favorite bathroom areas.

Then trailer guy was caught with his pit bull on the edge of their property trying to cajole the new neighbor's little dog to cross the road into their property. New neighbor had the police come out to make sure the trailer guy knows that he needs to keep his dog on his own property.

I'm putting even money on whether the new neighbors decide to rent their house and move away from the trailer guy, or if the trailer guy will drown his own dog in the neighbor's pool and blame them in order to get some $$ (Or maybe his kids, since his dog is not supposed to be in the new neighbor's yard...)

Ah, drama!

We looked at some acreage about 10 year go before we bought into the house we have now.

Went to to look at that property several times. Even hung out there for a few hours to take it all in. Outside, of course.

~10 acreas, 2 cut around the house. 3000sqft Ranch, tornado shelter, inground pool, and a 1500sqft detached shop. All accessed from a paved public road for less than what we paid for what we have.

Wife decided that place was too secluded when she clocked the nearest gas station at 5 minutes away. :rolleyes:

Tried to explain to her that once she got familiar with where the dips and potholes were she could do it in 3. ;)

Note: It's summer, it's hot, I have no A/C. So we have to keep the windows open to keep cool.

So my next door neighbors dog will usually bark for about 30 seconds somewhere between 10pm and 6am. So every night while I'm enjoying my slumber my wife and I are rudely awakened by this beast with the loud bark.

This wouldn't solve all your problems with the neighbors, but a window A/C unit and some earplugs are a small price to pay for a good night's sleep!

I live in a small subdivision that has mostly single family homes but also duplex's. My solution to the next door neighbor who decided to turn his backyard into a junkyard was to put up a privacy fence so I didn't have to look at it. Not long after I put the fence up, he walked away from his house & the bank eventually cleaned it up after I made a few phone calls to our code enforcement officers, who didn't respond to multiple calls/emails from me & my wife, then a call to my county commissioner who also called the code enforcement officers, who amazingly responded very quickly after my call to the commissioner. When the folks in the duplex's move out, they usually leave enough trash & junk around the already filled trash can that any potential renter can't park in the driveway. Now when I call or email code enforcement, the problem is taken care of quickly or I get a response from CE explaining what is being done about my complaint. I told my wife they probably have our name on the board so they make sure to take care of our complaints pronto. One simple call to my county commissioner seemed to do the trick for me.

My solution to the next door neighbor who decided to turn his backyard into a junkyard was to put up a privacy fence so I didn't have to look at it.

had a problem with a neighbor that just could not figure out what they owned and what they don't own

but wouldn't survey

put up 400 feet of 10 foot tall stockade between us and problem solved

all the best

S_M

I have a neighbor two houses down...calling him unique is an understatement.

The man lives by himself with a corgi and in his driveway are a trailer, a brand new challenger (which I've never seen out of the driveway) and a few busted cars.

Apparently, he doesn't live in his house during the winter because his heat is broken so he and the dog live in the trailer during the winter months.

A neighbor who was trying to sell their home finally complained to the city and a nice gentleman from neighborhood services came by and warned him about all the cars and crap.

A week later it was all gone and the house sold. New neighbors came in about a month ago and guess what just showed up in the driveway? An old busted car...some people never learn

I forgot to mention that this neighbor of mine had one more car. He had it parked on my curb for about 2 years and would move every 3 or 4 months. It hadn't been registered for 2 years. Our city states that cars cannot be parked in the same spot for more than 72 hours. So 2 laws broken, and I let him get away with it. My bad.

I ended up buying this car from him so I could sell it and get it off my curb. This car ended up being pretty nice so I kept it and sold another car I had. I actually told him I was buying it to get it off my curb. He went and parked another one of his cars there afterwards. ****ing bastard. He can't put 2 and 2 together.

Not sure if many people have spoken with a guy that has a low IQ. But this guy would knock your socks off.

I ended up buying this car from him so I could sell it and get it off my curb. This car ended up being pretty nice so I kept it and sold another car I had. I actually told him I was buying it to get it off my curb. He went and parked another one of his cars there afterwards. ****ing bastard. He can't put 2 and 2 together.

Ha. Got your money and a place for different car. Brilliant!

I have one of these neighbours.

Dogs chained up front and back that bark all day at people walking/running/cycling/scootering by. make such a racket that they set off all of the neighbourhood dogs, mine included. This annoys the hell outta me so I feel really sorry for my dogless neighbours.

I've never seen the dogs untied and taken for a walk or even allowed to roam the yard. Poor bloody animals.

The grass has been cut maybe 3 times in the last year, they have junk everywhere (they have a manikin which freaks me out because it lurks in the shadows from my kitchen) and have a busted up car on the driveway and don't seem to be able to drive the other one with any real sense of control.

Worst of all is that she is a chronic liar. When she first introduced herself she told me she was working as a teacher at a local school as well as studying her masters at the local tech institute. I was a little suspicious of the last statement and sure enough I had a wee look and they have no masters programme, and after speaking with some Friends who teach at the school found out that she had been offered a job tutoring at the school but had not started due to being unable to produce any of the qualifications she supposedly had.

Oh and the guy on the other side doesn't turn off his washing machine when he goes away to work on the rigs and it beeps every half hour until he gets back. Doesn't bother me in the slightest but apparently drives SWMBO nuts.

I texted him a couple mornings ago when his dog woke me up at 6am. Told him it's been 4 times now since we talked. He just got back to me today. Said they're moving her feeding time to 8pm and hopes that fixes the problem. Said she'd still bark at birds and anything that moves. Holy balls. Fix the problem? Isn't that like if your car dies because it ran of gas you'd go out to check if you have a flat tire? Inbreeding sucks.

I'm pretty sure I am that neighbor. Now let me back pedal a bit and say I live in a beach neighborhood way above my pay grade.

Project cars in the driveway for a few weeks at a time? Check.
Scraggly bushes? Yup.
Dogs that bark past 10 at night and before 6 AM? If they feel like it.

Only 2 of the houses of 8 surrounding me are occupied year round - the pricks that own the other places and come here for weekends 2 months a year can go screw. They were dicks to us before we gave then a reason to be.

I texted him a couple mornings ago when his dog woke me up at 6am. Told him it's been 4 times now since we talked. He just got back to me today. Said they're moving her feeding time to 8pm and hopes that fixes the problem. Said she'd still bark at birds and anything that moves. Holy balls. Fix the problem? Isn't that like if your car dies because it ran of gas you'd go out to check if you have a flat tire? Inbreeding sucks.

What is it that you want this guy to do with the dog?

Back