Anyone have any issues brewing with NG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Ordering a brew sculpture and deciding between ng and propane. I have a 3/4 hookup in my garage for ng. I'm relatively unfamiliar with using ng...has anyone had any issues with it. Ie not enough pressure to brew with? Anything else

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

propane will provide a lil more BTUs, but im curious too.
i ran out during my last brew, but it was during the first couple minutes of starting to bring it up to a boil. (i had more within 10 minutes)
would be nice to never worry about it ever again.
soooo.... im curious too!

I brew with natural gas on a 3 burner top tier. Having converted from propane I can say that I notice no difference in heating times and it sure is handy to just turn on the gas and go. To the op, 3/4" hookup is what I have and it's plenty for me at 7" w.c.

I use a 1/2" connection. I brew on a 2-burner 10 jet-based system. I frequently have both burners in operation and I've never had any problems. I tapped into a line in my garage that connected to a garage heater.

The absolute best part of NG is not having to worry about running out of propane mid-boil.

The main difference I have noticed is that I never have to fill up tanks, and I never run out:)

I have a 3 tier brew sculpture from Morebeer (10 gallon pots/5-6 gallon batches). Never have a problem. Often have multiple burners on at the same time. No problems.

I would hate to have to go back to using propane.

7" wc?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Natural gas is usually measured in pressure called inches of water column. If you look at the regulator on your gas meter it should tell you what the preset pressure is in water column. As long as it is more than 5-6 you should be good to go.

Back