Anyone have a recipe for Lush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after a few more weeks in the keg, the beer is pouring absolutely clear. Surprisingly enough, the hop aromas and flavor are still shining through much more than I would have expected. Aroma is exceptional.

Color is a wee bit darker now that the yeast isn't reflecting so much light too.

I still stand by my estimate of bumping up the honey malt. If I brew this again, I will shoot for a ~90/10 ratio of 2-row and honey.

I look forward to hearing about your results jkovac!

Well, after a few more weeks in the keg, the beer is pouring absolutely clear. Surprisingly enough, the hop aromas and flavor are still shining through much more than I would have expected. Aroma is exceptional.

Color is a wee bit darker now that the yeast isn't reflecting so much light too.

I still stand by my estimate of bumping up the honey malt. If I brew this again, I will shoot for a ~90/10 ratio of 2-row and honey.

I look forward to hearing about your results jkovac!

I dry-hopped on Sunday. Will keg this weekend, expect to taste carbonated beer by 10/4 or 10/5. Will provide full update with side-by-side photos for color comparison.

Hi folks,

The version I brewed is in the keg.

I followed @Bowen1911 recipe.

Had a longer mash because of power outage. It went out mid way through recirculating. I let it sit for a little longer to ensure conversion. Had to rearrange single tier to catch wort from MT to BK. Sparge water was at 140ish since it cooled off but I still used it. Wort sat overnight covered so I didn’t do FWH. Next morning power was back on and I finished the brew.

Dry hopped and fermented in conical for 2 weeks before yeast dump. Another week in conical. Kegged last Friday and holding in fridge until I can get Lush to compare.

Wort color seemed about right. I hit 1.068 instead of 1.065 thinking it was the longer sparge.

The sampled flat beer is indeed dark and I’m afraid just a tad drier than I wanted.

I will get Lush sometime this week so I can present a better side by side with pics. I’ll probably go to Fremont and pick up a growler.

Welp, mine turned out darker and drier. I attribute it to the power outage, longer mash, and overnight wort rest. Does anyone think wort sitting in boil kettle overnight may have oxidized? Gives me reason to do it all over.

Anyway, Lush is on the left and my version on the right. Mine is tasty but just not as crisp as Lush. I think the recipe from @Bowen1911 is just right but just unfortunate that I was interrupted with the power outage.
505AD724-92AF-4BCE-A84F-A4947AA0191F.jpeg

My sample of Lush was darker than yours. Interesting.

Mine too. I bought mine warm off the shelf, cans from Trader Joe's. (That's the only way I can get here so far.)

I kegged mine this weekend. Finished at 1.011. Mine is on the left in the hydrometer cylinder, Lush from the can on the right in the glass. Mine is still a little darker than the real thing. Hard to tell before carbonation but I think it came pretty close to Lush aroma and taste-wise. Will update you all after tasting in about a week. bowen1911 and all the others who gave input here - Thank you! Greatly appreciated.

9 8 brew vs Lush on keggging day.jpg

So, wow ... I ran out of CO2 and switched to nitro. I have about 3 liters left. The hops come through so much that It becomes a soft juice bomb. Cloudy because I decided to give the keg a shake.

D42EA66F-B540-480C-A2AC-D08E81ED150F.jpeg

Already planning to do round 2. @jkovac how was the 4lbs of honey malt? Just right or did it need more?

I’ve ordered bulk this time because I’m determined to get this right. Not too bad. Around $150 total. 55 pounds of 2 row, 10 pounds of honey malt. And 1 pound each of Citra and Mosaic. I’ll be repitching yeast so I only factored the one time cost.

I would say the honey malt to 2-row is about right at 4lbs honey to 39 lbs 2-row, at least from a flavor perspective.

Mine has now been kegged about 10 days. I like it, and it is definitely similar to Lush taste-wise, although I still like Lush better. To me Lush is brighter and cleaner. It is subtle, and I think I need to understand way more about water than I do now in order to really improve on brewing this and other beers. I bought the Palmer Water book awhile ago. Time to read it.

Interestingly, the canned Lush I have been buying warm from Trader Joe's appears to be changing color from batch to batch, over time, or something. In the photo my beer is on the left, Lush on the right. My beer is about the same color as it was the day I kegged it, but the Lush is lighter than the last time I did a comparison. It is from a different six pack of canned Lush - they were purchased maybe a month apart.

Attachments

• beer 10 9 18 mine left Lush right.jpeg
    beer 10 9 18 mine left Lush right.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
Cool. That’s good to know. Yeah, that’s weird about color consistency with their batches.

I didn’t use cryo Citra like they mention on their site so I’ll use that this time around. I’ll also have all the components for fermenting low oxygen and under pressure this time around.

Mine has now been kegged about 10 days. I like it, and it is definitely similar to Lush taste-wise, although I still like Lush better. To me Lush is brighter and cleaner. It is subtle, and I think I need to understand way more about water than I do now in order to really improve on brewing this and other beers. I bought the Palmer Water book awhile ago. Time to read it.

My batch tastes better now than it did at 1-2 weeks old, which is weird for an IPA. I'm going to kick the keg in the next 2-3 pints I bet. It's crystal clear, flavor pops, and aroma is as fruity as ever.

I've been meaning to get a water report on my tap water, but it's just so damn good tasting, I haven't prioritized it.

Alright folks! Doing a 10 gal batch this time. I finally have all the extras for my conical so this time around it will be semi-low oxygen and fermenting under pressure. The only difference with the ingredients is that I’m adding acid malt instead of liquid acid additions. Will update periodically.

I know this is a fairly old thread but I wanted to thank @Bowen1911 for this Lush recipe. Lush is one of my favorite IPAs but Fremont doesn't distribute to Utah so I only get it off the shelf when I'm going through Idaho.
Anyone have a recipe for Lush?

I brewed this on 4/4/2021 and just tapped the keg this last weekend. So delicious! I ended up adding another .5lb of honey malt for 1lb total and used 0.25oz of Warrior hops for the bittering and Wyeast Ale Blend with a 2L starter.

Back