Anyone have a Hanna 96811 Digital Refractometer? Any tips for accurate readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
Link to the refractometer: http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=039001&ProdCode=HI%2096811

I wanted to post up and see if anyone out here in HBtalk land has one of these? I have one and, frankly, I don't trust it 100%. Here's my typical procedure when I go to use it.

1. Turn on refractometer
  2. Squirt some distilled water on the lens and then clean off with cotton cloth
  3. Squirt some more distilled water on the lens and hit the zero button to calibrate
  4. Wipe off the water again and then put a sample of wort on the lens and hit sample
  5. I then hit the sample button a few times over a minute and wait for the reading to normalize
  6. Use that as my reading

The issue is that sometimes the unfermented wort readings just don't match up with a traditional hydrometer reading. Any tips? I feel like I have an overly complex device that isn't working for me.

-Cheers

what kind of differences are you seeing between your 96811 and the hydrometer? I assume your readings are at temp, is the hydrometer calibrated? And is it a LBHS hydrometer or lab-grade?

I have that unit and I have no issue with the two matching up. Are you adjusting your hydrometer reading for temperature?

I would trust the Hanna reading much more than the hydrometer reading.

Back