Anyone have a extract recipe for Blue moon clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingredients:

1lb flaked oats
3lbs Light DME
4lbs Wheat DME
1oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4%AAU)
1oz Ground Coriander Seed
1/3 oz Dried Sweet Orange Peel

1 package Safale US-05

Steep the flaked oats in 1.5 quarts of water for 30 minutes. Drain oats, transfer to kettle, and add 3 gallons of water.

Add DME just prior to start of boil - you want to add DME to HOT water! It will clump no matter what, but the clumping is worse in cold water. Add DME while stirring - again, DME tends to clump, so you need to add it slowly while stirring it in to prevent clumps.

Bring everything to a boil. Additions are as follows:

1oz Hallertauer 45 mins
1oz ground coriander 10 mins
1/3 oz orange peel 5 mins
1/2 oz Hallertauer 0 mins

Cool wort and transfer to fermenter, topping off to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast (no starter or rehydration necessary).

Ferment at 66°F. Mine was complete in about 10 days, but YMMV.

Awesome thanks! couple questions though, when you say drain oats, i assume, you mean remove oats from the water, then transfer the water to the kettle right?? and the last thing, the 1/2 oz Hallertauer for 0 mins, do you mean i just put it in to the fermenter basically? Sorry for possibly stupid questions, like i said never done anything other than Mr Beer.

Not stupid questions at all...just part of learning the process!

Draining the oats:

Yes, you just lift the muslin bag full of oats out of the water and let the bag drain back into your steeping pot for a few minutes. You can also use two large spoons to squeeze the bag and get more liquid out if you like. There are debates about the impact of squeezing vs not squeezing, but I have always squeezed my grains and had good results.

0 minute addition:

You just add the hops to the brew kettle as you turn the heat off. Note that I use pellet hops which "disintegrate" much better than whole leaf hops. If you choose to use leaf hops, I would put them in a muslin bag or hop spider (search this forum for DIY hop spiders). For simplicity, though, I'd recommend going with pellet hops.

Latest posts

Back