Anyone grown up Renaud yeast from Mystic Brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
I was gifted with a bottle of Mystic's Renaud Saison and could not just discard the yeast it contains. The ester profile is fantastic with this beer, and I would like to brew with it.

Has anyone grown up Renaud dregs and if so, what was your experience fermenting with it subsequently?

:mug:

Hmm, I wonder if the bottle sat warm for too long. I am not seeing any signs of viability.

I have added more wort and some servomyces and will give it some more time as well.

How big of a starter did you do? If you did anything over 1.020 and 200ml it might take a bit to see activity. Many people do the initial step in the bottle, before moving to the stirplate.

I grew up at least 300b cells and saved 100b, then pitched the rest into a very simple beer (85% Danish pils, 5% WEY Pale Wheat, 10% table sugar).
Mash pH of 5.38, boiled to 1.060, chilled to 18C and aerated/pitched.

17 hours later I had a couple fingers of krausen.

My usual ale is 18c for two days, then raising 1c ever other day until 21c, and holding it there.
It makes sense for clean ales but clearly this yeast needs some heat to express itself.

This post is a little late for you, but I am 99% sure that Renaud uses the standard Dupont strain (WLP565) so there should not be a need to culture it up in the future. The brewers have even experimented with leaving batches in the sun for a day or two to simulate the slightly lightstruck flavor that Dupont Saison sometimes get to simulate the flavor.

I recently harvested some of this yeast from a bottle as well. My second step up starter formed a pellicle like film on top after leaving it for 2 weeks. Smelled fine and I decanted the stuff off the top and pitched into 4 gallons of wort, anyways. Just wondering if I contaminated it, or if you experienced anything similar?

Nope, it just took some time to get vitality back into the yeast.

I ended up really enjoying the beer and will probably rebrew at some point. Just needs something like Hallertau Blanc hops

Back